xisto Community
jonnytracker

Building Confidence how to be confident on stage

how do I build confidence to face the crowd especially on stage performance.

Hmm... well tell me:

What are you performing?

Not every method works because it depends on what you're doing.
Also, are you up there alone, or with a group of people?
How are you standing, In a line, or isolated amongst the stage?

Building Confidence:
1. Try practicing what you're performing infront of a mirror, several times. It helps.
2. Then, try practicing what you're performing to your closest friends, (max 5), and let them share their opinions. Dont just practice it infront of anyone or you'll become nervous.
3. Record yourself and see how you do. The replay and notice the things you're doing right, wrong, or are you just too nervous? Share it with friends.

On stage (Applies to most cases):

1. Dont stare the audience in their eyes because then you'd realize there are hundreds staring back. This causes nervousness :P
2. Be confident. I know you're trying to build confidence, but make sure you know what you're performing before you walk on the stage. Know it by heart, and do not stumble upon your lines (or notes). Once you mess up once you become nervous and tend to mess up more.
3. Dont doubt yourself.
4. Stand/walk/run loosely on-stage. Dont become stiff.

Performing amongst your friend HELPS a lot. They will give you unbiased feedback, and will not laugh at you because they are your friends :P
Edited by harrison858 (see edit history)

Dear friend I am a classical dancer for many years now and in school days only I have started performing on the stage. No that I am very confident on the stage but it was not the same in the beginning. When for the first time I came on the stage my legs and hands were like shivering, I still remember the first day when I was on the stage for my morning assembly thought of the day. On the stage itself I was scolded by a teacher and I was very nervous. When I went back to my home I narrated everything to my parents and they guided me a lot regarding increasing the confidence on the stage and ultimately boosted my confidence. Like this slowly with the help of practice today I am fully confident person on stage. I should say I am more confident on stage than when I am not on stage.?So what I have learnt from my experience is that you have to follow the under mentioned points to be confident on the stage, and that is -1. Practice?2. Practice3. Practice4. Practice5. PracticeBest of luck dear friend.?

Dear friend I am a classical dancer for many years now and in school days only I have started performing on the stage. No that I am very confident on the stage but it was not the same in the beginning. When for the first time I came on the stage my legs and hands were like shivering, I still remember the first day when I was on the stage for my morning assembly thought of the day. On the stage itself I was scolded by a teacher and I was very nervous. When I went back to my home I narrated everything to my parents and they guided me a lot regarding increasing the confidence on the stage and ultimately boosted my confidence. Like this slowly with the help of practice today I am fully confident person on stage. I should say I am more confident on stage than when I am not on stage. So what I have learnt from my experience is that you have to follow the under mentioned points to be confident on the stage, and that is -
1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice
4. Practice
5. Practice

Best of luck dear friend.

This may be true, but too much practice can add a stress buildup. You may feel confident on stage after you keep practicing, however, you will tend to have a buildup of stress, and just crash on stage in the middle of a performance, if after you've did so much practicing you mess up once.

I guess this works for dancing, but as far as singing or playing an instrumental solo, You have to practice AND have some Anti Stage-Fright method that you use :P

And for this i suggest not to stare the audience in the eye ^^
Edited by harrison858 (see edit history)

I would suggest you to have an demonstration of your dance in front of your parents and near and dear ones. This would help you to have a brief idea and built up some confidence. The other thing that youshoudl keep in mind is that the feat that you have achieved is indeed a very good one to perform classical dance on a stage at the school level is in itself a very big thing. So, be assured that the audience would be just amazed about a kid performing so beautifully, so just give it your best shot and don't be over cautious about the way you look and the way you perform. Just let it go in a normal way and everything would be fine. Good luck for your performance!

I have to give many seminars every now and then. Initially, I too had a confidence lack while giving presentations and seminars. The technique is that, while delivering the speech we should always see our audience as our students, assume they no nothing about the topic we are talking about. This gives the boldness to speak in front of the people.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)