xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nolan

What Are The Coolest Api's You've Seen?

As a web developer, I love it when I discover a new API that offers some benefit to me. Some of my favorites include the Twitter API, Google Maps API, Yahoo's BOSS API, and Weather Underground's forecast feed (among many others).What API's do you think are the coolest, and what API's would you like to see in the future?Not that they count for anything, but bonus points are given for API's that are simple to develop with :P

I really want to see a google navigator API, since Firefox now actually can figure out your current location using your IP, and since 90% of us don't route our IPs through dozens of VPNs and servers, that should be a way of the future. The Google Navigator is basically the selling point of the Droid for non-techy people since Verizon's own GPS is pretty bad, and has a horrible GUI and an equally horrble POI system, you need to type of the place exactly and give more information than just the name =( Its not so much an API but a framework, but jQuery is probably the best to work with, I believe its pretty big now, and has basically replaced javascript, well I mean it is javascript, but people decide to learn how to use jQuery over javascript, since it does most of the work for them, and now that jQuery has been further developed by others to create jQuery UI, there's basically no work on the user end, in the scripting for that matter, so the convergence of coder and designer has finally emerged, leading a single job, and forcing people to learn both to continue and specialize in their field. Uh other than that I want a text-to-speech API as well, Google has one for Spanish and English but its not very Good with acronyms since it trys to sound it out, and uses letter based instead of phrase based, strangely since google translate has one of the advanced ones which translates by phrase instead of work.