xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nolan

Google Chrome Os First Impressions (etc.)

Hello. I'm curious: what are your first impressions of the Google Chrome OS, and what do you expect might come out of it in the near future?

In case you haven't heard, the project has recently gone open-source, and a video (maybe more) was made available to demonstrate concepts relating to the new system (see: https://www.engadget.com/).

I guess the greatest concern that I have at this point is whether or not Google will successfully meld online and offline technologies, as opposed to putting too much focus towards online technologies alone. In this regard, I have faith that Google will accomplish the task quite well, but so far I haven't heard much about the OS's offline capabilities.

What I would like to see (as in me, specifically) is a solid, quick OS that, without the need for additional software, attempts to understand what -I- use the computer for and makes those tasks easier. For example, having an alerts service that lets me know (unobtrusively) how many new e-mails I have upon login, whether any blogs I follow have new updates, if there are any news stories that are relevant to me, whether or not collaborative documents have updates or revisions, etc. An intelligent, personalized alerts service built directly into the OS would save me loads of time and, well, would be quite snazzy in general. (Note: it should still be optional for the user.)

Additionally, an OS with an extensive list of preinstalled developer features (or a downloadable package) would be wonderful. Most development environments take very little space, so disk usage wouldn't be a great concern here.

Finally, more advanced dynamic preloading and caching would be nice (so long as I get to determine what gets preloaded and cached). For example, there are very few people who interact with a computer without touching a web browser, so preloading and caching certain features of my default browser seems like a good idea to me. The problem you'd have to address with that is how to handle unexpected behaviors as a result of the cache/preloading (e.g., if something's acting quirky in part of the cached code and I restart the browser, that wouldn't fix the problem) while keeping it simple for the user. Granted, applications are getting a little bit better at error-checking on their own these days.

Oh, and quicker process killing would be nice, too. No one likes hangups.

(P.S. I do understand that Chrome OS isn't geared to be a mainstream operating environment at the moment, but I have no doubt it will naturally evolve into wanting to become that.)

Yes I had heard and seen on other sites that so many people call that will bidel very quality and we'll try it and I still will go when it is worth try anyway I'm not satisfied with any of the existing Windows and if you can give me the date when this will go to Windows and will be free or licensed as Microsoft vindousite Because if that is how linux a free license would effectively among one of the best payment and will be waiting even have a weakness there will be a problem

Edited by index.html (see edit history)

Hi, index.html.

I was a little confused by your post, but if I'm correct, I believe you were wondering if the Google OS is going to be free like Linux distributions.

To put your mind at rest in that regard, Google Chrome OS -is- going to be free. Typically, companies aiming to sell a particular software product opt not to disclose the source code for that product, as Google has with the Chrome OS. Whether or not Google makes another version of Chrome at some later date that's not free is anyone's guess, but I'd say it's safe to assume Chrome will always be free.

Yes I had heard and seen on other sites that so many people call that will bidel very quality and we'll try it and I still will go when it is worth try anyway I'm not satisfied with any of the existing Windows and if you can give me the date when this will go to Windows and will be free or licensed as Microsoft vindousite Because if that is how linux a free license would effectively among one of the best payment and will be waiting even have a weakness there will be a problem

Dear friends as every one else even I am also very eager to see forward the google Operating System. Obviously it might give good competition to the one present there in the market now like Windows and linux. When dealing with the concept of doubt on the offline success of any companies software who is one of the giants in online business is according to me a waste thought being online or offline is just a mode of using a software that’s all by the way I have full faith on Google as they will be surely coming out with flying colors in this venture also as they have done in their previous one’s.?

My question is does it play games ? Is it useful for offline usage ? Is it worth for apps other than internet apps ? If yes, then i'll test it out else there is no point in trying this OS anyway. Who wants to use browser and online apps only ? Not me, atleast. Such system maybe useful for cyber cafe people.

These were the same sorts of ponderings I was having. I believe Google will put in a good effort to make the OS suitable for offline applications, but so far that hasn't really been demonstrated. I'm hoping, too, that they'll have some kind of intelligent background file synchronizer that automatically updates your online/offline Google docs and mail when you're connected to the Internet. It's inconvenient for the user to have to download each individual file they want each time the file updates, especially if it's a collaborative office environment. Having an option like what I just mentioned would save a lot of people a great deal of time.

My question is does it play games ? Is it useful for offline usage ? Is it worth for apps other than internet apps ? If yes, then i'll test it out else there is no point in trying this OS anyway. Who wants to use browser and online apps only ? Not me, atleast. Such system maybe useful for cyber cafe people.

I don't mind trying the VMware or VirtualBox image of ChromeOS. I'm not sure where it is available. I guess VM based testing is much better as there is no offline usage of this OS is tested. So VM is safe. I wonder which brand is going to buy this OS to ship with their desktop or laptop. Netbooks perhaps but still Only-internet based apps makes me not to use it at first place.

I could see quite a few netbook manufacturers wanting to ship their products with it. Traditionally, using a free OS meant using a product that most of your customers have probably never heard of (e.g., Linspire). With Google behind it, customers will at least have that same level of familiarity, brand-wise, as seeing Microsoft, so the risk of seeming like your cutting corners or seeming "generic" won't be there quite as much.

I don't mind trying the VMware or VirtualBox image of ChromeOS. I'm not sure where it is available. I guess VM based testing is much better as there is no offline usage of this OS is tested. So VM is safe. I wonder which brand is going to buy this OS to ship with their desktop or laptop. Netbooks perhaps but still Only-internet based apps makes me not to use it at first place.

I am still wondering when this os will be officially available. Although some of the torrent sites have posted a 500 MB version of the os and saying that you need to login using your email gmail id and password it is not tested by me if this is a trick or something.Though it is much awaited the chrome browser still does not have enough plugins as for the firefox is concerned. and there are no way that there can be competitions but still google os may be something to wait for.

Just like Chrome Browser, this OS will be available without much noise or say announcement i think. Chrome browser came into market and get out of beta after period of say 5 months. So i think there is no point in thinking for official sources for download or so. If you get it from virtual machine image or torrent, try it. I doubt it'll be there before march. Atleast it will not be in February.