xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
contactskn

A Doubt In Ms Excel

There are quite a lot of reference on vlookup and hlookup but I am yet to be able to get the answer right.I am using excel 2007 and have not been able to do it so far.
The max value is comming correct but the column name does not seem to come right. It gave me null error. Why?

Dear you are very correct with vlookup or hlookup the purpose is not being fulfilled. By the way we are getting some success in the case of hlookup but the problem there is the headings that is the subject names should be written below the figures and not above it. Now I think I should try some thing else than vlookup or hlookup and if I am going to get some solution for my problem from anywhere then I surely will post it and share with all my friends here.
Edited by contactskn (see edit history)

Dear friends today one of my students asked a doubt to me regarding excel and I am not knowing the answer for it so please help me with some really working answers for the same. The problem is related with Excel and is as follows-There is a table made in Excel and the fields are as follows-

Maths               S.St.                  Science                 English

the values for example are as follows
89                    84                      98                        68

Now first of all I want to find the maximum out of these values, actually I know that it can be accomplished by =max(a2:d2). and the output here will be 98 but actually I want the output as the subject name of the value which is the highest that is in this example Science. Please help me to get this output. Thanking you all in advance. 
xl.bmp

Dear just try attached two solution I think till will be helpful for you.

OSR.bmp

Dear just try attached two solution I think till will be helpful for you.

Dear friends at last I have got the solution for the problem which we were trying to solve for so many days. So I would like to describe it for you all in detail. For example entry in the cell A1=Maths, A2=89, B1=English, B2=98, C1=Science, C2=78.

To get the required result here that is English in this case we have to use three functions and they are as follows-
1 Max
2 Match
3 Index

With the Max function we will get the maximum value out of the series which is 98.

Match function is used to get the item number in the series to be matched for any value that is here we have to match 98 in the series A2:C2. And the result will be 2 in this example that is to say in the series the second item. After this we have to use the third function.

The last function to be used here is index for which we have to provide with the series in which the value to be displayed is that is in this example it is A1:C1 and we have to provide the item number also in the series which we have got from the match function. And in this way at last we will get the required result that is English in this example. 

I have also attached the image of the excel sheet view. 

Thanks to all my friends who tried to solve this problem. 

untitled.bmp
Edited by contactskn (see edit history)