xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ghost of delete key

Exploding Gum Kills Ukranian Student Chemical accident?

i noticed the same thing. people aren't paying attention to the information in the original post or the news article(which was vague). if anyone ever sees a followup to that article, please post it here. i would like to know what the investigation uncovers....

Yeah, unfortunately, this is amounting to epic fail.

Nowhere was it supposed that the citric acid had anything to do with said explosion. It was only pointed out that this individual liked to "sour-up" his gum with the stuff, and then it was pointed out that a "mystery substance" was found nearby bearing a striking resemblance to the student's preferred treat.

Wow. How could nearly everyone MISS THAT?! :P

My only questions were, what was the mystery stuff, and was it some accidental mixup between substances, or a suicide?

As reported through Yahoo! by Sky News - https://uk.news.yahoo.com/

Apparently, this individual liked to dip his gum in citric acid. Nearby the mess, another substance believed to be an explosive was found. The student's jaw was blown off.

Now of course this is an actual news story, but somehow, something doesn't seem right.

This was a chemistry student. You might think that someone intelligent enough to get into a university would be smart enough not to mix up his chemicals? Something doesn't add up here.

Could this truly be an accident, or do you think this guy found a novel way to off himself and become "an hero" as they say in the 'chans?

Whats' your view?

Submachine gun

Check

Knives

Check

Gum?

Check. Wow I guess this guy should have been questioned by some terrorist organization before he blew up. He would have been useful with his new technology! Lol. That seems so wierd that that could actually happen. I will never look at my Eclipse gum the same way again. It just may cause a.....eclipse?

Sounds like he might have known what it was, but may have been experimenting, as someone said, he is a chemistry student and should have known better, just like many fantasists who try out weird things to experiment...Not to say it wasn't an accident, but it is possble he knew exactly what it was.. On the other hand someone put it there? Im sure citric acid has a distinctive taste compared to what he had, maybe someone knew of his habit, put it there... :/ Further to that, we're forgetting it could be a manufacturer thing too :|

On the other hand someone put it there? Im sure citric acid has a distinctive taste compared to what he had, maybe someone knew of his habit, put it there... :/

Hmmm... so you suppose maybe foul play was involved?
Interesting theory, but I see nothing pointing that way.

Another possibility though, is that he could have been some Columbine-style miscreant, and his "experiments" were less than noble. I mean, if you're into chemistry as a possible white-hat profession, you would probably want to play with your explosives in a more controlled laboratory setting, rather than in your own home. :P
It seems to me that if one is that ignorant, you would also accidentally dip your gum into the wrong stuff, having it laying about your room.

Again, something doesn't add up.

I still see no more info on this story...

Hmmm... so you suppose maybe foul play was involved?Interesting theory, but I see nothing pointing that way.

Another possibility though, is that he could have been some Columbine-style miscreant, and his "experiments" were less than noble. I mean, if you're into chemistry as a possible white-hat profession, you would probably want to play with your explosives in a more controlled laboratory setting, rather than in your own home. :P
It seems to me that if one is that ignorant, you would also accidentally dip your gum into the wrong stuff, having it laying about your room.

Again, something doesn't add up.

I still see no more info on this story...

Yeah I totally agree with you there!!! I mean I didn't want to make it out there because it might offend someone but who knows what kind of experimentation he was carrying out in his room,

It will probably brush away like all the other stories, its horrible though, apparently he sustained horrendous injuries to his jaws...

The other article someone posted says that it WAS laced with some unkown substance, so that might clear a lot of other options if he REALLY did dip it into the unknown substance and leaves us to conclude that this substance was infact the causeBut still, why is it taking so long for them to identify a chemical? unknown or not :P :P Now i dont want to get flamed for wrong opinions but i do believe that he did lace it with the unknown substance, but i think there is a bigger picture behind all of thisHe was a chemistry student, he should know better how dangerous tampering with dangerous chemicals could be

that is fishy...why would a chemistry student have explosives in his house? Maybe the police are covering up a story? Well thought we teach me not dip my gum in acids. i think i have learned something here today = )

maybe he's not trying to invent a new breed of popping bubble gum... maybe... just maybe... he's trying to make some kind of an explosive, those fireworks for new year or for some other reason. I sometimes see it in the movies, those characters trying to make these home made bombs to blow off buses, buildings, etc.. They use the gum to put their materials together, they chew it first then wrap the chewed gum around the stuff that needs to be bound together.Maybe, he's super tired and disoriented already and his materials got all mixed up then he blew himself up accidentally...