xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inverse_bloom

Sand Castle Championships

I found a really good site which lists pictures and results of championship winning sand castles. Apparently master sand sculptors use nothing but sand, water and a set of tools to complete these artistic pieces. Some of these creations are truly fantastic and worth a look -

http://harrisand.org/sand_sculpture_photo_gallery.htm

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Wow! What can I say? Some of those are absolutly amazing! What wonderful talents some people have. Knowing they are just made from sand makes you wonder how on earth them even made many of them.But the oddest thing of all is that is seems like a trememdous amount of effort to put into something that is going to be washed or blown away in a matter of hours. It would make me terribly sad to see my work washed away, if I had that kind of talent.

blown away is more like it as a lot of people bring explosives to blow up their art work after the competition those competitions though are sometimes kinda interesting to watch when they air live on television.

Wow! What can I say? Some of those are absolutly amazing! What wonderful talents some people have. Knowing they are just made from sand makes you wonder how on earth them even made many of them.
But the oddest thing of all is that is seems like a trememdous amount of effort to put into something that is going to be washed or blown away in a matter of hours. It would make me terribly sad to see my work washed away, if I had that kind of talent.

blown away is more like it as a lot of people bring explosives to blow up their art work after the competition

Hummm....that is interesting. Given the size of many of the sculptures, and the weight of wet sand, I would think the amount of explosives need to put one of the sculptures up up and away would put the users of the explosives in the catagory of needing to be licenced by the ATF. Explosives are seriously regulated these days. I have a friend who is a pyrotechnic and the regulations are I know they are a nightmare. Almost as bad as for dog breeders.
So I wonder how they do that???