xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andresf91

Winxp: 2 System Tray Icons Disappeared Volume control and safely remove hardware icons are lost

Hi all:I'm having some trouble with Windows XP. It happens that two of the system tray icons that should be at the bottom-right of the screen (notification area of the taskbar) aren't there anymore, out of the blue. I mean, the clock is still there, Antivirus, network, internet connection, even Windows updates notification icon.. all those are there.But Speaker volume icon and Safely remove hardware are lost.Has this ever happened to anyone? I really couldn't make them back. I tried with the Customization options of the notifications area, making both icons Alwyas Visible, and nothing.The speaker works anyway because my keyboard has those "multimedia" keys which can increase, decrease or silence the volume, but for the other problem, of safely remove hardware I really don't have a solution without the icon. The only thing I do when I need to remove my USB pendrive or something, I go to My PC and eject the drive, as if it were a CD. But I don't know if it's the same.So, some help would be appreciated :)

For the Windows Audio go to Control Panel > Sound And Audio Devices > uncheck the box that says show tray icon. press accept then check the box again and press accept again, your audio control should be there.As for the safely remove hardware. it only shows up if something is plugged in your USB like an IPod

many of my Icons used to disappear for no good reason. I don't know the cause till date. I think Something is seriously wrong with Win XP :)Anyways, I used to kill my explorer and then manually restart it. That always works.CTRL + ALT +DEL find ALL Explorer.exe and kill them (END) . then from file select new task (Run..) and type explorer.exethat should fix it.This problem isn't there with Win XP x64Hope this helps

many of my Icons used to disappear for no good reason. I don't know the cause till date. I think Something is seriously wrong with Win XP :)
Anyways, I used to kill my explorer and then manually restart it. That always works.

CTRL + ALT +DEL find ALL Explorer.exe and kill them (END) . then from file select new task (Run..) and type explorer.exe

that should fix it.

This problem isn't there with Win XP x64

Hope this helps

This kind of solved the problem for now... After I closed Explorer.exe and run it again, speaker volume icon reappeared, and when I plugged my pendrive safely remove tool finally showed up
THANKS A LOT... I hope this solves the problem for a long time.