xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zachtk8702

[tutorial] Visual Basic 6 Closing Programs Right, Why END is bad

This tutorial applies to all those people who insist upon using "End" to close their programs:End stops the program immediately without any thought as to what's going on - it's like a high speed train hitting a brick wall. It can cause unwanted errors and is bad programming practice in general. END gets rids of the form, but NOT its leftovers. This leaves a bunch of memory that will still be in use even after your program has supposedly closed. An object or variable won't be terminated properly - it's just not a graceful exit.The only time that it's okay to use end is in Form_Load, because there is essentially nothing to unload. Ending the program abruptly also ignores whatever code you have in your Form Terminate, Unload, or UnloadQuery subs.If you don't have leftover objects that you have neglected to nullify (ie - you are a really meticulous coder) and you don't have multiple forms loaded all at once, then "unload me" is the correct thing to do. Otherwise, putting a variation of the following in your Unload sub is the best:Code:Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel as Integer)On Error Resume Next 'should be at the top of this sub regardless of circumstances' If you only have 1 form:Dim o As ObjectFor Each o In Me Set o = Nothing Unload oNext' If you have multiple forms and you want to close the entire app:Dim f As FormFor Each f In Forms Set f = Nothing Unload fnext' If you have multiple forms and possible leftovers (this is the best way, just to be safe):Dim o As ObjectDim f As FormFor Each f In Forms For Each o In f Set o = Nothing Unload o Next Set f = Nothing Unload fNext' NOW you can put whatever you want, because you safely and methodically cleaned up your program's trail:Unload MeEnd ' you can even put end if you really really want, because at this point it's safe and there's no garbage left to clean upEnd Sub

How to close 1 form and open another in a button

[tutorial] Visual Basic 6

Can somone Please post a snippet of code on how to close a form and open one in a button.

-question by Sanyo

how to show multiple form in visualbasic

How to show multiple form in visual basic

-reply by mahaveer

how to close a form, and open one in a button

Replying to iGuest

Haha aiite m8 prety much

Imagine this

You got 1 form, say form1 , and you have a command button rite

And you got one that you want to open , called form 2

What you want is

When say

Sub_command_click

Form1.Visible = False

Form2.Visible = True

and yeh.. Thats it HAHAH

So prty much, when that BUTTON is click

BAM!, form 1 = disappeared

Form 2 = INFRONT OF YOU = 0

Haha <3 hope that helps m8

Xx.

-reply by TheLove

how to close a form, and open one in a button

Replying to iGuest

Haha aiite m8 prety much

Imagine this

You got 1 form, say form1 , and you have a command button rite

And you got one that you want to open , called form 2

What you want is

When say

Sub_command_click

Form1.Visible = False

Form2.Visible = True

and yeh.. Thats it HAHAH

So prty much, when that BUTTON is click

BAM!, form 1 = disappeared

Form 2 = INFRONT OF YOU = 0

Haha <3 hope that helps m8

Xx.

-reply by TheLove

...problem[tutorial] Visual Basic 6

There is a small problem with the code snippets - the object should be unloaded before being deallocated:

Dim o As ObjectFor Each o In Me   Unload o  Set o = Nothing NextDim f As FormFor Each f In Forms Unload f Set f = Nothing nextDim o As ObjectDim f As FormFor Each f In Forms For Each o In f Unload o Set o = Nothing Next Unload f Set f = Nothing Next

I don't mean to be rude... but VB 6 is still being used? It was the last version of VB before .NET was released, and I thought everybody had moved onto that.If that is not the case, I would love to enlightened. Regardless, it is a good language to get started in. The syntax might not make sense at first, but it is a pleasure once you understand it.

How to close 1 form and open another in a button

Can somone Please post a snippet of code on how to close a form and open one in a button.

-question by Sanyo

how to show multiple form in visualbasic

How to show multiple form in visual basic

-reply by mahaveer

To close 1 form and open another 1 is simply

me.hideshow.form2

and

to open multiple what do you mean like on startup or open them 1 by one?

cgom comment[tutorial] Visual Basic 6

cgom, I wished people like you didn't exist. I really do. Forget his poor English, just can't understand why people post their stupid feelings or comments like this, when no one cares. This post was to help, or get info, and this cgom retard gives us all what he thinks without so much as offering it's help (notice I said it's). If you're so "cool" and "moved on" then why are you posting here. Oh, wait! Oh, I get it, because you know nothing.

In fact, thank you cgom, this world DOES need idiots like you. If you didn't exist, then who will we take our money from?

sad /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley6.Gif

the syntax is very similar because they are both basic compilers and with very basic knowledge of both you could convert visual basic 6.0 to visual basic 2008 and if you can't do it then just ask you are on http://forums.xisto.com/ :)
Best wishes, caleb :)

I don't think so. It's alot different like C#'s web request and whatnot... The functions have similar names like messagebox.display("") and msgbox("").. i really don't know what would be what.