xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rejected

Lent Has Started

I'm Episcopalian, and starting now I'm observing lent. Lent is a forty day period that begins forty-seven days before Easter, but Sundays aren't counted. Many people fast, and all who observe Lent give some thing up to show their sacrifice to god. That's why Mardi Gras exists, so Roman Catholics, and many other Christian religions, can get everything out of their system before it starts. What I'm giving up for my forty days is television, and running, because those are what I spend my majority of doing.Anyone here observe Lent?

I'm sorry, but Caveman is not a die-hard Christian. Even if he was, he wouldn't have sufficient self-motivation to refrain from any particular activity for such an extensive period of time as 40 days. If God didn't want me to eat chocolate, he wouldn't have created it for me! Doh!P.S. - Just out of curiosity...why running? It's a healthy activity...there's no sense in giving it up, really. That's just my opinion, though...If you enjoy it so much, you must have a lot of will power to keep from doing it. I'm impressed, dude!

I'm from the Philippinesand like most people here I am Catholic. I went to our school chapel yesterday to have my forehead marked with ash since it was Ash Wednesday. I don't know if I'd intend to fast this time but my family has this tradition of not eating red meats on Fridays. I'm still thinking of what I'd give up doing this Lent, though.

Im a christian, not hardcore at all, I hardly even go to church, but I believe the beliefs......... Also im not sure what lent is I assume that is a jewish or catholic tradition. I know yesterday was the new year of the rooster in china :D Thats about it....... Not trying to make fun.

I have a christian background and left when I was younger. I go to church on a irregular basis to visit but I enjoy going. We were raised pentecostal and never observed lent. I guess its more of a catholic thing. I like the idea. Giving something up would make one more appreciative of what they have. Fasting was a common thing though.

You know.. rejected, are you saying, if a mob came to kill you, you'd walk briskly away, because if you ran you'd be cought and sent to hell?( I didn't mean to offend you in any way, I just find the idea of giving up something healthy kind of stupid)Anyway, I'm not religous, though this is one of the few good things of religion to force vast amounts of people to stop doing something for 40 years. "Sundays aren't counted" Yeah, that's te thing I don't get, I mean, it's to show god you respect him, but, cheating on a sunday? I mean, God didn't come out of the dessert on sundays and go "Oh my.. that was dusty, well, I'll go back into the dessert of find satan in the morning".And while we're on the point, Isn't it just possibly that jesus, got sun stroke and there was no satan, it was all a bad acid trip?Again, I sincerely aologize if this in some way offends you, I would just like to hear your coments.

I'm Hindu and I don't recall us observing any fasts. Our major holidays center around harvest or the birthdays of our gods and their sacred days. I wouldn't be able to give much up for 40 days. I'm not used to it. Unless it was a material object, in which case it would still depend.

You know.. rejected, are you saying, if a mob came to kill you, you'd walk briskly away, because if you ran you'd be cought and sent to hell?

( I didn't mean to offend you in any way, I just find the idea of giving up something healthy kind of stupid)

Anyway, I'm not religous, though this is one of the few good things of religion to force vast amounts of people to stop doing something for 40 years.

"Sundays aren't counted"

Yeah, that's te thing I don't get, I mean, it's to show god you respect him, but, cheating on a sunday? I mean, God didn't come out of the dessert on sundays and go "Oh my.. that was dusty, well, I'll go back into the dessert of find satan in the morning".

And while we're on the point, Isn't it just possibly that jesus, got sun stroke and there was no satan, it was all a bad acid trip?

Again, I sincerely aologize if this in some way offends you, I would just like to hear your coments.

48980[/snapback]

I doesn't offend me at all, I love answering questions. No, we don't cheat on Sundays, but they aren't counted as one of the forty days, and I'm not sure why.

I would run, and I would not be sent to hell, because all I'm doing is showing my sacrifice to God, and what I will do for him. Everyone who wrote in The Bible would have had to be on a sever acid trip, which wouldn't have likely happened.

I used to be Catholic and I remember the good ol' days of Lent. We used to try to give up something for forty days and not eat meat on Fridays also (I'd usually eat fish instead). We also designated giving away something or did special things over Lent. In other words, we may take care of a need for a relative or give money to a charity which would also be considered giving up our time or money to help others. I remember always having a problem with fasting because I would often get headaches if I didn't eat on a regular basis :D . I think the real problem was that I just loved food too much and didn't have the desire to want to give it up :D . I'm not a Catholic anymore so I don't observe lent or hold onto the Catholic traditions. I do consider myself a fellow Christian however and take into account fasting as one method of denying selfish tendencies and focusing on God more. Take Care,Byrdhouse