xisto Community
-Sky-

Auto Overclocking

My Dad's PC has a problem...his computer keeps automatically trying to overclock its self every so often, then overheats. It has no Watercooling system at all, nor does it have any Thermal Paste on the CPU chip or bottom of the heatsink (I don't think). His mobo is ASUS, with an Intel chip. It is Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core Processor. We have no paste for the CPU and heatsink yet. But since I've watched your video's, I'd like your online help to fix this issue. Getting Instant support would be more helpful as I can inform you of the stuff he has in his system, however my mom probably wont let me uncover the computer again, she's a fussy "cleaning" freak..she hates the dust and hates the computer being pulled out etc.I am currently at College doing IT Tech, fixing computers etc (overall, I have completely fixed over 100+ computers) Though with my Dads computer, I don't know...I gave it a good clean out yesturday, using some ear plugs to get the dust out of the heatsink, and using our Hoover to suck up the dust out of the computer. I hoovered the PSU fan, the heatsink, and the back fan, however my Dads GPU/CPU core temperatures are always at high levels. I looked in the BIOS settings at the temperatures and the GPU/CPU temperatures are way above normal/standard temperatures. I've looked at the overclocking settings in the BIOS, but it doesn't show how to disable it completely. When it overheats, like 5 to 10 minutes after, I turn it on, it boots up, doing various IDE scan tests etc, but says "Overclocking failed" or something like that. I gave my sisters husband a ring, (he's a technition with computers and does that as a job) he said, I need to apply some thermal paste over the CPU, however, we don't know where he best place to get it from.Is there any other way to disable my Dads computer from overclocking?Thanks.

A CPU overclocking itself sounds absurd; it'd be more logical if a virus was messing around with your hardware. But i would rather comment further after you have re-applied new thermal paste. As for GPU, an average of around 50 Celcius idle is typically normal. But what temperatures are you getting now for both and what were their "normal" temperatures?

But since I've watched your video's, I'd like your online help to fix this issue.

Our videos?

My Dad's PC has a problem...his computer keeps automatically trying to overclock its self every so often, then overheats. It has no Watercooling system at all, nor does it have any Thermal Paste on the CPU chip or bottom of the heatsink (I don't think). His mobo is ASUS, with an Intel chip.

They're only now starting to introduce motherboards that can overclock themselves, and even then they apply very conservative overclocks. What seems more likely is that your PC is throttling back due to the temperatures. It then ramps up to its normal frequency, overheats and shuts off. The lack of thermal paste is a real concern, as it means you have practically no connection between the heatsink and CPU, which would certainly result in overheating. Without thermal paste it's a wonder the PC has lasted this long :)

It is Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core Processor. We have no paste for the CPU and heatsink yet. But since I've watched your video's, I'd like your online help to fix this issue. Getting Instant support would be more helpful as I can inform you of the stuff he has in his system, however my mom probably wont let me uncover the computer again, she's a fussy "cleaning" freak..she hates the dust and hates the computer being pulled out etc.

The dust means you're not taking good care of your PC. Yes, over time all PCs will accumulate dust inside the case, but there are things you can do to minimise it, and of course you should clean it out whenever it starts to become an issue. The simplest ways to prevent the dust are to keep the area around the PC clean and free of dust, and to fit dust filters on the fan intakes of your case. Then the filters collect the dust, and are much easier to take off and clean than the PC itself. Dust inside the case will increase temperatures and make a mess.

I hoovered the PSU fan, the heatsink, and the back fan, however my Dads GPU/CPU core temperatures are always at high levels. I looked in the BIOS settings at the temperatures and the GPU/CPU temperatures are way above normal/standard temperatures. I've looked at the overclocking settings in the BIOS, but it doesn't show how to disable it completely. When it overheats, like 5 to 10 minutes after, I turn it on, it boots up, doing various IDE scan tests etc, but says "Overclocking failed" or something like that. I gave my sisters husband a ring, (he's a technition with computers and does that as a job) he said, I need to apply some thermal paste over the CPU, however, we don't know where he best place to get it from.

Go here and use the links to find authorised resellers to get some thermal paste. They also provide step-by-step photo instructions to apply it if you're unsure.

With both the GPU and CPU running hot it means the problem is likely to be with the airflow in the case rather than with overclocking. However, compare the settings in the BIOS with the standard settings for your CPU and make sure the two match. If they don't then the CPU has been over or underclocked. If overclocked then it will be contributing extra heat into the case.

When I took a look, the BIOS temperatures said a maximum of over 100 degrees Celcious for the CPU/GPU. :/

I'm amazed you even managed to get into the BIOS with those temperatures; though, i am curious as to why the onboard graphics card is getting the same temperatures as the CPU though you are merely in the BIOS. What is the maximum temperature that the BIOS allows before it shuts off the computer? I have trouble believing that this is caused merely by dust and lack of good air flow. Out of curiosity, check the condition of the motherboard's capacitors.
Anyway, the overclocking features may be hidden in the BIOS but should be able to be disclosed with a keyboard shortcut. For me it was CTRL+F1 for my Gigabyte motherboard. I'm not sure about ASUS, but it may be the same shortcut, that is, if they are hidden.