xisto Community
ashmaninc

Running A Webhost ? How Much ?

QpaQue is paying over $200/mo I think. For the server and things.

Well, you could get a small reseller account with 1Gb space and 10Gb w/b with for less that ?5 a month, and a domain from about ?2 a year...Then you need the lisence for cPanel (that usually comes with the reseller tho, free)Than you promote it andf make profit, you then upgrade as needed :D

Indeed. Thats what you did, isn't it Craig?Thats also what QpaQue does. He upgrades as needed, or so he tells me on AIM. Good lucky finding a few customers, if your starting one.

Wow, I would love to run a webhost that cheap. I heard they have free reseller's sites... I wonder where... got to check them out!

200$/mo does not sound too expensive?. But how did you make it profitable.- With banners in your hosted sites.- With a Xisto kind of of solution.- Running a web design firma and hosting yourself your client designs. I think the most profitable is the trap solution but also the one which requires more work.Do you know any other posibility?

Yah YAh YAh ..... sryany way i have wanted to do this i have been looking latly i have found things like Xisto here you host them you get 1000 mb and you have cpanel built in only for $20 yah yah yah i am thinking about geting it and sellling it but i don't know if a 12 year old would make a profet .... yah i am a 12 year old cool me

12 year old that is soo sweet!! Anyways EVEN if you are going to use $200... you are using it to advances right?? And you can get it back plus more profit.. if you giving out hosting etc...so it is all worth it, but if your giving out ONLY free hosting i dont know.. but some peopel get sponsored by companies and don't have to pay anything etc.

I have thought of starting a webdesign company, something small.. You guys reccomend buying the reseller package and hosting them myself, or using another host. Also, What would be the cheapest route to go? I know I can buy a domain for 9 bucks but I really dont want to spend too much money until I know I can get some clients.

First you need to find out whether you can run a expensive marketing campaign. Often if it isn't a trusted host, unless its cheap its hard to find people to come to you for hosting. There are a lot of trusted ones like HostGator, BlueHost, and more. Its hard to find people unless one it it's really cheap as in 1 dollar a month for like slightly more than Xisto gives, or two get free hosting with ad revenue. You need a lot of people for ad revenue, so start getting people with a different forum, see if you can get that traffic to afford to at least break even, for the first two months, then start slightly offering free hosting for credits on the forum, or requiring them to come to forum like every other week or so, like x10hosting. You can also try giving both paid and free hosting that might work also. If its around only a single server, you can actually set up your own server, or buy one for about 200 dollars a month, then create Unix/Linux Sectors, and divide it up as it goes. If you only have one server than approve each application or just let it go automatic. Provide incentives for paid hosting, and incentives for free hosting as in ad-less, or dedicated hosting, with more crons, and other ablities. If you plan to host your own server, then its a one time cost, buy something from Dell or another company, and set it up, for others, but you need a really fast internet connection, so thats about 70 dollars a month, so so far if its a home host it will cost around 100 dollars for setting up it and the internet a month per server. If you want to resell servers, thats going to be a lot more of a cost. You also need another 10 dollars a month for a domain, then you need a design which runs about 400 dollars about for a good template and CMS service. In total just to start it up its about 1500/month for a home host, and external server and then host from there its about 500/month but then you have to report to the higher company. The profits begin with ad-revenue and traffic, along with getting paid hosting. Hope I helped.