xisto Community
rvalkass

Review: Hp Lp2475w

I've finally got the time after building my new PC to sit down and review some of the components, so here goes :)

HP LP2475w
Ł435.22 from eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Monitors/subcat/24%22-Monitors) (best price at the moment)

As the name suggests this is a 24" monitor with a native 1920x1200 resolution. Rather than being based on cheaper TN film technology, HP have opted for a high quality IPS based display. Considering the price, this monitor can only be seen as a long-term purchase to be kept for a number of years while the rest of your PC goes through various upgrades and replacements. The HP LP2475w oozes quality in every way, and the build quality means that you will certainly be able to keep this monitor for years before you look to replace it.

It arrived in what can only be classed as a colossal box, providing plenty of space around the monitor, filled with polystyrene, to protect it from the less-than-steady hands of couriers. I must say that my box arrived without so much as a scuff or dent, so well done there eBuyer! The monitor arrives separated from its stand. This is simple to fit, just lowering the screen onto the stand until it clicks into place. As expected for this price, the monitor moves around in every possible way - height adjustable, vertical pivot, horizontal swivel and even portrait rotation. All of these movements feel solid and sturdy; at no point do you feel that the monitor is loose or wobbly in any way. The actions are also reassuringly stiff; enough to keep the monitor wherever you put it, but not so much that it requires more than a purposeful nudge to move.

The monitor has a smooth, crisp matt black finish, with silver used for the model name, button detail and discreet HP logo. The base is matt black, with a silver ring forming the main supporting base. The screen itself is finished in a matt anti-reflective coating. This is far better than the glossy coatings used on many monitors, and does actually work to eliminate reflections and glare - I haven't had to shut the curtains once to block out glare :D

post-7593-1257088812_thumb.jpg

The LP2475w also has every input imaginable, with 2 DVI ports, DisplayPort, HDMI, composite and component inputs available on the back. There is no D-Sub port, but a cable to convert D-Sub to DVI is included. The monitor also features 6 USB ports - 4 on the back and 2 on the left hand side. I'll be honest, I don't really see the point of the 4 on the back, but the two on the left are handy for easy access, especially if your PC case doesn't feature convenient front USB ports. There are no in-built speakers, but if you are spending this much on a monitor it is likely you can also afford speakers. Also, most in-built speakers are fairly tinny, and would only diminish the excellent quality of this display.

The on-screen display menus are easy to understand and navigate, and feature every option you could want. Out of the box, HP seem to have selected some odd settings, with the monitor appearing incredibly bright. Turning the brightness and contrast down to 18% and 65% (from their default 90% and 80%) respectively solves this. The colours are vivid and accurate, revealing details in my digital photos that I'd never seen before. The monitor also passed all the Lagom.nl tests with ease. Video and games (on Linux) both play smoothly, without any apparent ghosting or blurriness. At normal viewing distances text is also crisp and clear.

I know the price is high (although it varies wildly - I managed to get it for around Ł300) but a monitor of this quality and build standard will last you for years, and can be seen as a good investment, especially compared to other computer hardware. I really can't recommend it enough :(

I know the price is high (although it varies wildly - I managed to get it for around ?300) but a monitor of this quality and build standard will last you for years, and can be seen as a good investment, especially compared to other computer hardware. I really can't recommend it enough :)

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of their standard or explicit dedication towards quality products, would you? I'm not really a fan of any LCD screen, given the dreaded dead pixel moments i've seen others have, but it doesn't seem like CRT monitors are as abundant as they used to be. I could use a new monitor and have been looking around, but if i knew what to look for in a product, especially concerning methods used by the manufacturer that helps prevent dead pixels, that would be great.

I'll admit that dead pixels were obviously a worry for me, especially when spending this sort of cash. The LP2475w gets slightly special treatment as a 'performance' display. They guarantee that the display will have 0 bright sub-pixels and up to 4 dark sub-pixels and guarantee 0 full pixel defects. They also guarantee against any contaminants getting into the display during manufacture, which can cause irregular dark spots on screens. I have had no problems with dead pixels so far, and can't find reports of this being a problem.

This seems a very nice monitor, I am currently look at buying a couple new monitors for my new PC which I have just finished building. I think these will look quite nice in my environment. I do thank-you for making this topic now :)