xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

I Can't Open Mamp .zip File... And Therefore Can't Download It And yet I successfully downloaded Filezilla... whats wrong?

Hiya people... I seem to need your help... again... And it seems like the Support and feedback forum, and the subforum in it, "Questions and Queries" is my favourite place to hang out, isn't it? Anyway... well, I have uploaded my Macintosh computer from the Macintosh OS X 10.4.6 to Macintosh OS X 10.6.1, and so, I have been finally been able to downloaded the FTP software Filezilla for my uploading files onto cPanel needs... however, in the process of updating the new version of Mac OS X, it seems like all the work that I have been working on my local web MAMP server has been somehow wiped out... and that isn't the main problem, because I can easily catch up with everything that I have done. The main problem is, however, the problem of downloading MAMP onto my computer again...For some reason, I can't seem to open the .zip file that comes through the download, and yet it worked completely fine for Filezilla. I don't know what is wrong, because whenever I click onto the .zip file, another file jumps up...So when I click on "MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg.zip", not only doesn't it open, this file jumps up: MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg.zip.cpgz -----------> and when I click on that, this file jumps up: MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg 2.zipWhich is, I believe, exactly the same thing. So after a few click, my screen would be completely cluttered:MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg.zip --> MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg.zip.cpgz --> MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg 2.zip --> and so on and so on. Also, in my first download when my computer software was still Mac OS X 10.4.6, only one file appeared when I downloaded.But now, two files appeared: MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg.zip AND MAMP_MAMP_PRO_1.8.3.dmg.zip.part, in which the latter doesn't open. Can someone tell me what to do? I need the MAMP software urgently, not to mention redoing everything that I have done for the past three months in a few weeks time...

The existence of the .part file means you haven't let it finish downloading. The .part file appears while the download is going on. Once the download is complete, the .part file is removed, and you're left with just the .zip file. Make sure the file is actually completely downloaded before you go ahead and open it.I'm not sure where your files were stored, or exactly what Mac OS does during an upgrade, but it's likely that it wiped out anything outside your home directory. Usually files for the web server are stored somewhere like /var/www so Mac OS might have wiped those out. Alternatively, they might still be there, so it's worth having a look!

Hmm... I searched, but I am absolutely sure that it wasn't there... Oh, and I didn't know that .part meant that it hasn't finish downloading yet. BUT I am absolutely sure also (again) that it did finish downloading before I opened it... Guess what the problem was??? The browsers!!! Recently, though I haven't told anyone yet, I have downloaded Mozilla Firefox as my second browser so that I can use it for Xisto purposes, alongside with my default Safari browser... this is because of the problem that I get with my getting constantly logged out of Xisto right after I log into Xisto. And once I used Mozilla Firefox instead, while I am not constantly logged in, I am no longer annoyingly logged out!!!But the point is this: I had initially used Safari to download MAMP, but I was using Firefox to do so... and that didn't work. After trying for more than twenty times... I thought of the browser problem and decided to use Safari instead. While the MAMP page on Safari is loading though, I searched up Xampp and I decided to try and download Xampp instead, because it has more functions and everything. The main reason why I didn't use Xampp from the start is also because of the download problems before, and I only had Safari as my one and only browser then.And Guess what? This time, I downloaded Xampp perfectly fine in Mozilla Firefox!!! But then the MAMP page had loaded already, and because I never used Xampp before, I decided to try and see if I can download MAMP anyway and if it works or not. Surprisingly, it also worked... so the conclusion is this, I suppose... You can only download Xampp on Mozilla Firefox and not on MAMP because there will be download problems, and alternatively, you can only download MAMP on Safari and not on Mozilla Firefox because there will ALSO be download problems... weird, huh? Well, I couldn't try it out on Internet Explorer though, because it isn't compatible with the Mac server, and I haven't tried it on Google Chrome either... but I guess I now have two local webservers to work on, huh???I wonder why different browsers only allow different local webservers to get downloaded though... Does anyone have any idea why??? I'm glad I sorted it all out by myself though. THings like this rarely happen, and I'm really proud... score one for Nameless and a big pat on the back!!! :):D:(