xisto Community
magiccode9

Basic Linux Shell Command List

These are some operation that might helps interacting with linux shell
And are the command I used most when on my linux system.
Hopefull these help someone :)

Display all command issued

history

Limited to display 10 previous issued command
history 10

Execute the last command starting with cmdA
!cmdA

Execute the last command
!!

Execute the specified command number in the command history list
!2015

Display the arguments of last entered command
Esc + .

Change the command line editing mode between vi and emacs
set -o vi/emac

move cursor to start of line
Ctrl-a / Home

move cursor to end of line
Ctrl-e / End

Delete text from current cursor position to end of line
Ctrl-k

Delete text from beginnng of text to current cursor position
Ctrl-u

Search back the command history for a command.
Ctrl-r

*edit*
Initial version: 30-10-2009

p.s.
Hmm... Please check my sign for an updated version if needed.
Improving me in progress ...

Nice commands and i think there is use from these.I am not using Linux and i want to ask something...Is everything in linux with commands or there are very much options like changing background,changing cursors etc.? And is there special version for linux users to play popular games? Can you give me list of games which can be played on Linux...? I never had used Linux so i need answer on all these questions...If i install linux i will be proffesional hacker :( I think linux is not for fun and i think it is just for programming in lazarus and creating web scripts :) Is there Skype,Mozilla firefox,gtalk for linux? I am not sure but i've heard that there is program in linux like in windows outlook,and with the same design and options.Is that true,and if it is what is its name?

Mozilla is on linux, its the default browser of many distros (versions) and is hugely supported.

Linux is much like windows in that it has a GUI (EG, icons, the mouse etc.....) but it is vastly different in the way it works. There is a lot of command line stuff in linux, a lot of program installs (outside of debian based systems (linux has many "bases" debian is one base that ubuntu is built on)) require you to enter command line stuff, it can be as simple as:

apt-get install mozilla

or a lot more complex involving long commands, directory changing, making, deleting, program execution, decompressing etc.. and it can get messy. But if you use a debian based system (linux is very popular and i use it on my laptop)you can simply click on a button and have a window open where you can select a category of program (lets say Office/Word processing) and then choose between free, open source, closed source, third party etc....... (or just leave it as default) and you will be shown a list of hundreds of programs, you can also search it so if you wanted an MSN clone just type MSN and search for it and you will see tens of clones for MSN, some good, some rubbish (each has a star rating) tick the programs you want, click apply and enter your admin password and it will be downloaded and installed without hassle.

Everything is secured with linux in a similar way to windows UAC, if you want to install a program in linux youn eed to have the right access, so it will ask you for the admin/root/your password (depending on what level account you gave yourself, usually entering your own password is good enough)

Ubuntu skinned to look a little like windows with the taskbar/start menu: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Ubuntu2 with a nice theme showing the menu's at the top of the desktop: http://www.ozzyfrank.com/Ubuntu/images/ubuntu_screen_res.jpg

The add/remove programs window i talked about: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Another huge feature of linux is multiple desktops. By default down the bottom right of ubuntu is a little icon. a Rectangle divided into to. You start up in workspace/desktop 1, but if you click on the right half of this icon you are switched to workspace two. So lets say i have a game running (windowed mode, not fullscreen) on workspace one, if i need to be on MSN or something but dont want to clutter my screen i can click this icon to go to workspace 2 which is completely empty. The game isnt here, there are no windows open, nothing. Just the desktop. I can then load up MSN and it will stay in workspace 2. So now i click the left side of the icon to go back to workspace 1 and my game is there and i can play. If i want to check msn i just click the workspace icon and can view msn without the clutter of the game getting in the way.

ITs hard to explain but very useful!

Try an ubuntu live CD!

You're missing some big ones.. I won't go in depth into the options because it's a lot of work and I don't feel like it right now :)

GREP!

explain: This command will search through the directory, checking files that match the file wild card (* is all files) for the word Xisto and will print matches.usage:::: grep -i <pattern> [file]example: grep -i 'Xisto' *.txt

That example will search all text files in the dictionary with case insensitivity.

FIND!

explain:: This will search your /home/ folder (directory) for files matching (case insensitive = -iname,case sensitive = -name) *Beethoven*.mp3usage:::: find <path> -iname 'Filename'example: find /home/ -iname '*Beethoven*.mp3

FILE

explain:: Humble command gives useful information on a file. Can match wild cards for multiple files. Example below gives info n all .aviusage:::: file [filename]example: file *.avi

And the all time most important in my opinion.....

The Tab Key! - this autocompletes almost everything. Use it instead of typing full file names, use it to see what packages available start with certain letters. Use it to quiclky whiz through directories.

Another tip is, use wildcards. The Bash shell (and probably others, though I don't know) work excellent with wildcards. Most commands work with the, though be exremely careful using them with file manipulation commands like rm, mv, cp.. (their uses should be obvious ot anyone who understands english)

Of course, the commands I mentioned and some that magicccode mentioned can do much, much more. I was surprised at how every little command in linux does so much you have to study how to use it. Power house commands like grep, sed, awk take lots of reading to use to their max, though basic use is relatively simple. Commands you think would be simple such as find have incredible power.

DarkHacker:

Before I recently switched to linux, I thought Linux was all commands and text terminals. I had the silly preconception that it looked like some terminal from an old hacking movie. In reality, Linux (or at least, Ubuntu) had an incredible look to it, very nice, very modern and sure beats Windows in my opinion. It's a lot easier to customize Ubuntu Linux than it is to customize Windows I think, because with Windows you have to buy things. I've had a whole bunch of different looks so far and it seemed easy enough, after the initial week or two of "What the heck am I doing?" which isn't so bad because when you think of that, most of the best complex software confuse a person at first.

However, I found that the commands I was scared of having to use, are in fact my _favourite_ part of linux. Almost everything you can think of (within reason) is do-able with commands. File manipulation, image processing (make every image in directory brighter, or smaller file size, or convert), audiio manipulation, video encoding, email checking, weather checking. Therefore, when you get good at it, you can automate things. You can make scripts to do complex things easily. I can load up a terminal window, and do almost everything with the keyboard. I don't need to use open up a bunch of different programs.

It's just so cool! If you think you would like the geeky parts of using computers (programming languages and stuff), you will love linux. You might still love Linux even if you don't, but I find gaming isn't so great. Most of my games are incompatible or crash when run on linux. This is the _ONLY_ reason I would ever use Windows again, to run some software and games that weren't designed for linux.

The good news is, a bunch of people are working on a program called Wine that can run windows programs on linux. Right now, it's hit or miss for me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I bet it's being improved all the time though and there is a webpage you can go to to see if anyone else has something running.

Check out http://www.psychocats.net/ , when I was a newbie linux user, I found it incredibly helpful.

HHH very nice way to make linux to look like windows...It is very nice.And i have heard about Wine...If i destroy my windows i am gonna install linux and the first application i will download will be lazarus :) I don't like that much the linux design but it looks nice if you haven't use it.When first time i saw windows xp (i was learned on windows 98) it was perfect and i thinked that xp is that much good.Now when i want windows 7 i hate xp,but still i think vista is terrible.I couldn't remember that much commands because i can't understand how,for example i can remember command instead of just clicking button or filling input.Lets say windows have 6,000 buttons+inputs and that says that (lets say a half of buttons can be ignored) i need to know 3,000 commands? If we count all control panel options,all options like regedit i am sure we will found that much things...That is just 30% why is hard to make OS other % are motivation to programmers,device controlling,hardware things etc. I think that Windows is the biggest OS from all and it is the most complicate and fully customized OS.