xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

EHD PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED Xp Wont Assign Drive Letter To Usb 2.0 Hdd On Usb

EHD PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDEDXp Wont Assign Drive Letter To Usb 2.0 Hdd On Usb

Hello,Here is my scenario:

I have an external hard drive that was working fine until recently. It is being detected via USB in Windows XP, but it doesn't have a drive letter in "My Computer". So I right clicked on My Computer and clicked on 'Manage'.Then a 'Computer Management' box pops up. Within this box, I clicked on Disk Management, and saw that this drive was recognized but isn't assigned a drive letter. The drive is UNALLOCATED and NOT INITIATED.The data on this external hard drive is very important, so I do not want to do anything will erase or format the external hard drive. Can you please show me how I can access my files on this external hard drive; as I need to back them up to another working drive.The external hard drive is:ACOMDATA Photon 2.5 40GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Silver (PHD040U2E-54)

I have Windows XP SP3 (supports USB 2.0)Please reply as soon as possible, as this is very urgent.

Also, will the steps in this article work for me:

ehow.com/how_4474341_recover-data-from-external-hard.Html

Thanks,- Mansoor_______________

You should use the Hard drive manager which can change letter.Go to Control Panel,Administrative Tools,Computer Management,Disk Management,and see if there is your external disk.If it is right-click it and press Change Drive Letter and paths.New window called Change Drive Letter and paths for name will open.Find button called Change and choose Assign the following drive letter: and choose the letter you want,but it couldn't be some existing drive letter.Now go to your My Computer and see if this helps.Hope i helped you.