xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeune

Why Java Web Development Called Jee?

The word Enterprise is a bit daunting if you ask me and also a bit misleading. Is that a marketing ploy? You can also build non enterprise sites using Java/Servlets.

The word Enterprise is a bit daunting if you ask me and also a bit misleading. Is that a marketing ploy? You can also build non enterprise sites using Java/Servlets.

You don't get it, you're not clear with the view of EE. You're looking for literal meaning and strict implementation of EE i.e. Enterprise edition. Java EE is intended for Web development. So it doesn't matter whether you build commercial or non-commercial applications. There is no marketing ploy in EE. Just because something is named as Enterprise doesn't restrict itself from building non-enterprise sites. I hope it's clear to you now.

yup, I agree with mahesh2k ...

jee is a specification to build server side, distributed, enterprise applications. ( it is a sun's way of saying that if you build your application this way then you will be able to build more secure, scalable application, which usually are the needs/requirements of an enterprise.)

jsp/servlets is only a part of jee specification. It is used to form the presentation layer in multi-tier architectures. A desktop application may use swing for the same purpose and swing is not part of jee (it is not a server side component).

Thanks for your replies. :P

I am just really confused. There's no use of the word Enterprise in other languages used for web development like PHP or Python (correct me if I am wrong).

... build server side, distributed, enterprise applications...

So this is JEE's objective? If I wanted to make "server side, distributed, enterprise" applications I'd go for JEE. Do other languages in web development (PHP, Python) have this sort of objective as well?

Bear with me people, just trying to educate myself here. I've been actually developing a web app using Java and Spring on Google App Engine but I am still dumbfounded on the "enterprise" part. Cheers! :P