xisto Community
rayzoredge

Look Out For Scams On Craigslist

I don't know about posting ads for hunting a job on Craigs list, but for selling things, I guess it depends on what you have available. I have some friends that use Craigs list and swear by it, but for the most part, if you have a dog, and attempt to post it on Craigs list, the animal rights wacko's get your add removed. I tried it just for the heck of it the other day, and I got about forty or fifty responces that were nothing more than pure scams or just a link to some site selling some kind of junk.

It's too bad that it seems there are more people out there trying to cheat people than there are those trying to make an honest living.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. It help me to think about my ideals.

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: Project manager job description

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Edited by hdblue (see edit history)

NEVER located legit employment on craigslistLook Out For Scams On Craigslist

I have been seeking alternative employment for nearly a year; I generally have looked through local, legit sites. However, in the past 6 months I have been going to CL almost daily. I continually find interesting positions that I would easily be considered for & apply...Not ONE SINGLE time have I located a legit position! Always with the generic reply...Sometimes in the middle of the night even. They always expect you to click on a site to post your application. I even had 2 positions expect me to fill out a credit report! I was in awe with that one b/c I couldn't imagine anyone being ignorant enough to actually do it. Then it made me sad because I imagine there are people out there who have done it...The scam, ultimately being leading people to the "free credit report" site where the scammer gets paid per "customer".

I will continue to look on CL each day in hopes of finding an honest & ethical posting. However, I would advise job-seekers to take some extra measures to keep his/herself safe...Measures I didn't start off taking & really feel regret in my heart for now:

1) If it's not a specific job description, it's probably fake. If it pays really well for a medial job, it's probably fake. If it sounds too good to be true, on CL, I can almost guarantee it IS too good to be true. If there are grammatical errors, poor punctuation, misspellings, etc...It's probably fake & foreign.

2) Create an email account ONLY for your employment seeking. It makes things much easier to manage & helps decrease confusion with these irritating & bogus postings.

3) Reply to the poster with a simply inquiry. "I would like to exprees my interest in the Blah, Blah, Blah position I found posted on http://frankfurt.craigslist.de/. Is this position still open? Could you please send me a full description of the position and your business information...I would be happy to share additional information with you by means of an invitation for a personal interview..." Sign short email as first name & last initial, or visa versa. Don't even feel bad to add a line regarding your experience with previously dishonest postings making you hesitant to offer any personal information. Real employers will appreciate your intuition.

4) If you get a reply to hit a website, fill out a report, etc...Anything NONhuman, hit delete. You know there's no way that's a real person trying to gain a new employee. Of course, if you ever get a reply that you sound like a great addition to their staff...Without a formal meeting, you KNOW there's nothing for you there.

5) Remove your home address & phone numbers from your initial resume. I know that it's by no means fail-safe, but only keep that personal information on a resume you are choosing to personally HAND to a potential employer. No airwaves need to know your home address or contact information aside from your newly created email account. It's just a little bit more protection for yourself, in my opinion.

I hope that someone finds this helpful...This has been my experience. I wish I had started investigating prior to searching for employment on that site. But, when you are seeking employment, you just want it NOW & no one considers the possibility of liars out there making up jobs that seem too good to be true!

Good luck.

-reply by Frustrated

My husband owns a business and I encourage him to look for help on Craigslist. He puts details of the job that is open and asks people to go to his website to fill out an application and submit a resume. He posts jobs only when he is in need of employees, and he does check his website to look through applications and resumes. He has hired off of Craigslist. So you can get gainful employment this way. He often gets incomplete applications or resumes that don't impress him, and he doesn't follow through with those because he doesn't have the time. It may be frustrating to job seekers, but when you submit resumes and applications to businesses they don't generally call you unless they are interested in your qualifications. I will share with you, he's impressed when someone does everything properly and then follows up with a phone call or a visit a few days later. It shows him that you are really interested in working and he's more apt to give your application a second look.