xisto Community
serverph

"why I'm Giving Up Broadband" bandwidth guilt

here is an interesting take by an internet geek, on why he's giving up broadband (for good?). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4242751.stm

too bad i can't relate much since i still use dial-up up to this point. :D But i can sense the feeling of 'bandwidth guilt' the author has. getting online consumes a lot of my time, and sometimes, it takes over my life leaving me with tons of things left undone. and that is with a dial-up, how much more when i get broadband? i could only wonder. :D i actually trimmed down my online time a bit these days, just checking up on my Xisto credits, and reading new posts (and replying to interesting topics), and reading my emails. and i dropped my p2p clients downloading tons of anything and everything, since these just litter my precious hard disk space. i wish i could manage to keep these "changes", as part of my resolutions this year (but temptation is very strong B)). i now prioritize my online time to online tasks that i deem important - like Xisto and my site - (with a little extra time, for some inane and useless websites, like bored.com :D).

would i still get broadband? that's a question of economics, and when i can afford it, i may. i may just have to rethink my 'bandwidth guilt', and make a strict plan to follow so it does not overtake my life. B)

what's your view on the article?

Interesting article...I wouldn't give up my broadband for anything, though. I feel no guilt :D The convenience of broadband is undeniable. I catch myself taking it for granted sometimes, but I've just become to accustomed to it that I hardly remember my days with the good ol' 56K (and it's not like anyone else I know has it!). I really don't get what the author is trying to get at here...does he just think that the monthly fee isn't worth it for what he's doing? Oh well, I'll let it be...BTW, divorce over online gaming? That's a severely flawed relationship...Haha

ha lol i feel bad for the guy :/ what is this world coming to? lol iam tryn to get a T3-T1 line but its just to coasty right now iam preaty happy with dsl right now no guilt

oye! I'd love to have broadband! I have dialup and am lucky if I can get it up to 40K. Usually I'm running somewhere around 32K. Unlike the author of that article, I do have relatives that would require me to use the cam because living in different countries, we can't see each other any other way. I can't even imagine what cam would look like on broadband! With the way it is now, you have to move very slowly or else you just look like a blur or you get caught making a weird face for a long time before the cam refreshes! I don't download MP3s and avoid video files, but I tell you what, if I had a faster connection, I'd be getting into all kinds of 'trouble' like that :D

I've actually thought about giving up my broadband. I'm downloading stuff like mad, but I don't feel guilty about it. It's like when I started downloading music; I've NEVER bought CD's, so they lost allmost nothing on me.But I simply have not got the time to see/hear all the stuff I download! I download interesting films and let them linger on my HD (plenty of room here) or zap through them (which they don't deserve). The good ones get burned to DVD, the rest lands in the trash. I've got about 3 weeks worth of listening/viewing to do to catch up. And I'm already spending too much time behind the computer as it is...

i used to be on broadband but now im back on dial up and i cant wait to get abck on broadband i feel more comfortable on it the fact that i can use it for unlimted amount of time and also i dont have to worry about the phone or the connection or anything...i really miss it... oh well hopefully i have it soon.

Hi: It seems me that this person forgets to many people which we worked with broadband, that I enormously facilitate the task to us of putting files in Internet and of handling to us by the servants quickly, also can put files that before cant to put because they were too big for Internet. The broadband save my life, before spent hours in front of my PC raising and modifying files of my sites, now has been to much less time to me, and single I am 1 or 2 hours daily in Internet. I dont download mp3, I dont download movies, i use to work and I save my life.THE BROADBAND IS GREAT!

Hi: It seems me that this person forgets to many people which we worked with broadband, that I enormously facilitate the task to us of putting files in Internet and of handling to us by the servants quickly, also can put files that before cant to put because they were too big for Internet. The broadband save my life, before spent hours in front of my PC raising and modifying files of my sites, now has been to much less time to me, and single I am 1 or 2 hours daily in Internet. I dont download mp3, I dont download movies, i use to work and I save my life.THE BROADBAND IS GREAT!

Interesting why would someone give up broadband? Its awesome it goes really fast and stuff. Its just pointless to give it up. Dial-Up just goes slow. T3 is awesome. All the ts are awesome. But anyways i advise u guys not give up broadband. Unless you want to. let me compare dial-up and broadband:______________________________________________Dialup BroadbandFast? No YesLots of users? No Yesmakes you cool? No yesmakes you a dope? Yes Nohas fast downloads? no yesCan be cut-off sometimes? Yes Yes/NoDrink java with? no YesLets you use and do cool stuff? No YesHas alot of hackers? No yesLets you access more stuff? No YesLets you know more do more:D? No YesRequires cable modem? No YesRequires satellite? Yes NoAnd many more things.... No Yes