xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spyke Jones

Sync Firefox Bookmarks And Passwords Anyone can sync Firefox on multiple machines

I use my laptop a lot, in all kinds of places. I also use my desktop a lot...usually in the same place.

When using two or more computers to surf the web, it really helps to have your bookmarks and passwords
saved and updated every time you access your web browser.

In this quick how-to, I will lay out the steps, in plain English, for even the greenest of beginners to understand.
Automatically synchronizing your browsers saves so much time, you will notice right away!

> Before we begin, this tutorial will cover using SyncPlaces, a Firefox plugin.
What is Firefox? Firefox is a FREE web browser available HERE. I prefer it over Internet Explorer...hands down.
SyncPlaces is available HERE. Once you have Firefox running, this is available as an add-on.

You will also need to set up a remote FTP host, or a place to upload and download your settings. This is not hard to do.
To avoid getting off-topic, I recommend searching the rest of the forums for that info. *Use something secure!

If you're getting confused already, relax. Once you get said browser and said browser extension, half of the work is done!

*Note* This is my personal, preferred method...Be aware that there are other ways of doing this, with other browsers.

Okay! On to the meat of the subject!

Open Firefox.
Click Tools>Add-ons
Select SyncPlaces from list box. Click options.

>This information tells Syncplaces where to send/receive bookmarks, etc.
Now, click the tab that says Server.

Tab: Server>Connection (this is the most important setting)
Select the FTP button at the top.
Add your FTP host address (if you don't understand, bookmark now and go look up 'FTP Host')
Add FTP username
Add FTP password

Tab: Server>Synchronization
You can change the path where SyncPlaces saves data on the server.
I leave mine as default, which saves right at the home directory, but organization helps!

Now, that is basically it! On the Actions tab, click Send Bookmarks/Passwords.
It should pop up and tell you that it is sending.
At this point, if it can't connect to server, you need to go back to the Server>Connections tab and check host, user, password.

I hope this helps at least one person. This is a very useful tool, but like I said...Not the only one!

I suggest looking at FEBE which is also a Firefox extension. It backs up EVERYTHING. I just switched to Ubuntu from Windows XP and I backed up my Firefox profile using FEBE on windows, and restored it on Ubuntu and it was as if I never even switched my OS. Everything was there, my bookmarks, my history, my theme, my buttons, and all of my extensions. It's a well designed extension, you can tell a lot of work was put into it and it works excellent.

This is a very good tutorial dude, I wish I found this sooner rather than later. This has really helped me a lot with all the Laptops and Computers I have.Thank-You very much for helping me out I hope you make more like this!

I suggest looking at FEBE which is also a Firefox extension. It backs up EVERYTHING. I just switched to Ubuntu from Windows XP and I backed up my Firefox profile using FEBE on windows, and restored it on Ubuntu and it was as if I never even switched my OS. Everything was there, my bookmarks, my history, my theme, my buttons, and all of my extensions. It's a well designed extension, you can tell a lot of work was put into it and it works excellent.

That's a new one to me! I'll give it a shot some time!

BTW, I recently installed Ubuntu on my Laptop, so now I can dual-boot Vista Home Premium (:lol:) or Ubuntu...

...either way, thanks for the heads-up!