xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
krishnadeep1

Spirit Based Education These are Swami Kriyanandas words

Spiritual counsel is usually given to people after they have reached the supposed age of discretion -- which is to say, when they can make up their own minds as to which set of values they will follow. Unfortunately, few people ever develop such discretion! Most of our values are imbibed during chldhood. The terrible mistake people make is based on the modern, supposedly scientific error that values consist of mere systems of belief, and have no objective validity. The education of children is generally considered forbidden grounds for giving such advice. Thus, formal education has become a matter of training the intellects of children; of preparing them for later employment; of stuffing their heads with facts and more facts -- without suggesting to them what they might do with those facts, once they've learned them. Schooling, therefore, becomes an education in meaninglessness and in life's essential purposelessness: indeed, an education in atheism. I think the main reason for the alarming number of childhood suicides is not the excessive pressure placed on children to learn, learn, and learn, that they may compete successfully with others when they grow up and achieve worldly respect and high position. The main reason, rather -- I am convinced -- is that children are given no high purpose in which to believe. Children today are taught to be cynics -- at an age when they have an absolute need for ideals of some kind. At that vulnerable age they are given nothing to believe in but dry facts and still drier principles.

This appalling state of affairs is based entirely on the belief that values of all kinds are entirely subjective. Childhood is the time for inculcating a completely opposite understanding. Jesus Christ said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." This is so because one feels oneself happier in sharing with others. Life teaches us this truth, but usually only after many a painful taste of the fruit of selfishness.

True values are not only subjective: they are based on universal experience; they are not matters of taste.

Everyone in the world wants basically only two things: to avoid pain, and to find happiness. This truth traces back to what adi Swami Shankara taught: that God is Satchidananda: ever-existing, ever-conscious, ever-new Bliss. All beings are motivated by the need to achieve -- if not bliss, then at least lasting happiness.

India, in its ancient teachings, has given a completely acceptable explanation for why values should be made a part of every system of education. The underlying and universal quest for happiness can be taught to children. It will spare them much unhappiness in life. Man is happier, for instance, when he is kind than unkind. He is happier practicing contentment than complaining at how life is treating him. To the extent that he hurts others, he himself attracts hurts. The yamas and niyamas of Patanjali are not a system of beliefs: they are universal principles that hold true for every human being, regardless of the religion he follows or the society in which he dwells.

Intellect also is a one-sided aspect of understanding. What we understand with our hearts is, indeed, a surer guide to true comprehension.

Education should teach children that how they do things is more important to their well-being than what they do. It is time we learned that facts, and even skill, by themselves cannot produce a healthy society. Cooperation, positive thinking, kindness, and other eternal values are essential to a truly productive life and to the attainment of the universal goal of all life: happiness.

Notice from rvalkass:

Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Quote tags added.

WOW... that's all very good, though I would very much appreciate it if you tuned down the bold text and the size of the texts... and I hope you didn't copy and paste that? It's against the forum rules to post things off somewhere and anywhere that aren't exactly your words... actually, it's also illegal on Xisto to repost your own words too...Everything has to be hand written (or typed) if you want to post it up here... but anyway, congratulations!!! Enjoy your newly earned seventeen dollars... I really don't think I've ever earned that much at all... maybe like, two dollars at a time, never seventeen though.

Now education and spiritualism mentioned in the same sentence usually is not a popular combination for me, I got my hopes in the first line, until "unfortuantly" reared it's ugly head

The terrible mistake people make is based on the modern, supposedly scientific error that values consist of mere systems of belief, and have no objective validity. The education of children is generally considered forbidden grounds for giving such advice. Thus, formal education has become a matter of training the intellects of children; of preparing them for later employment; of stuffing their heads with facts and more facts -- without suggesting to them what they might do with those facts, once they've learned them. Schooling, therefore, becomes an education in meaninglessness and in life's essential purposelessness: indeed, an education in atheism.

right, well while I will agree that education teaches facts without suggesting what to do with them passing an exam we hit the

meaninglessness and in life's essential purposelessness: indeed, an education in atheism

For one thing, you suggest that athiesm teaches that life is meaningless, few if any athiest, believe life is meaningless or else we wouldn't bother, there doesn't have to have a meaning set by a dictator, you are free to find your own meaning. I don't believe in life meaningless, I am a happy, stressless person who enjoys my life, I find meaning when I speak to a friend or play a game, the meaning of life to me is to live in a way which benifits you without causing excessive strain on someone else. Prehaps the thing you are worried about is that not teaching children your religion, not teaching them any religion means they will end up without a religion. But you see, it only shows the weakness of your place, Children who are taught the facts and are asked to make there own minds without the bias of someone else being thrust apon them, hardly ever will turn to religion, and why should they, Religious studies teaches about all religions but moreso teaches to think for yourself, objectively, Religion and objective thinking are hardly compatible, if you are brought up religious you work your faith around science, or you distort science around your faith, but if you know the facts you will distrust the distortions and distrust the religion that has been altered to suit what we know.

Everyone in the world wants basically only two things: to avoid pain, and to find happiness. This truth traces back to what adi Swami Shankara taught: that God is Satchidananda: ever-existing, ever-conscious, ever-new Bliss. All beings are motivated by the need to achieve -- if not bliss, then at least lasting happiness.

Athiesm isn't a belief favoured by people who slit their wrists and wear black, it is a mixed bag like anything else, but you don't need god to be happy, all you need to do is do those things that make you happy within reason, there is no use wasting your life because you don't know if there will be eternal happyness after. Stick to what you know, that you have this life and that you can be happy for the remainder of it.

The last line I think represents what everyone collectively believes that you need to know right from wrong, have certain values in order for society to function and for people to be happy, the difference being is that you will say it requires a god, where as I say, that these exist without god.

I am a staunch believer of this concept that spiritual based education should be given at school level.Its not something made for older generation people only.At an age when children are made to learn English poems & literature,science and their brain is stuffed with all kinds of algebraic formulas,geometry e.t.c. When it is taught that a good student's goal is to acquire excellent marks in these areas and then finally after passing out the school & college level education a good job having good salary,its equally important to let them know that if for some reason a student after putting all efforts to accomplish the goal set for him fails at a certain stage and faces failure continuously despite trying hard enough,what ways are there to gain confidence? In such situations mind starts enquiring should honest ways of succeeding in life be left and shortcuts of achieving success be applied? Does almighty exist in a world like this? What if still after acquiring lots of money and success true happiness doesn't happen to come ones way?Its spiritual education that helps one fully understand the basic difference between materialistic happiness & true happiness and also building up an outlook that real success comes from doing work with full passion without expecting too much in lieu of that.Then only success will run after you rather than you running after success all the time.

Education means appreciating knowledge on two levels: Theoretical and Practical level.

1) Theoretical level

When we know different subjects in theory, we can write and answer specific questions about them. We can also discuss and talk about these subjects. This is especially done by students during practical and theoretical examinations in schools and colleges.

2) Practical level

When we implement theory in practice to earn a livelihood/even as a hobby, we are appreciating knowledge on a practical level. Theory in practice is most prevalent in scientific experiments conducted by scientists to discover new facts. Sometimes these facts are extensions to existing facts and sometimes completely new facts are discovered. These completely new facts can also be called as original facts which form part of our beliefs. Similar kind of experimentation is done by geologists, historians, archeologists, and other professionals.

There is a third level that should form part of education curriculum across the globe and that is the spiritual dimension. Spiritual education is a necessary virtue and it should be implemented in all schools. Students should be encouraged to follow spiritualism throughout their lives. I purposefully did not number this level to make it part of the list because I know some readers may think of spiritualism as some sort of whim or fantasy. I do not blame them because it is human tendency to ignore - what we do not know? Sometimes we ignore - what we know also :) This is evident due to the fact that we perceive reality on two dimensions, one is through our senses and secondly through knowledge. We believe in what we know through knowledge and we also believe in what our senses tell us. We know Love, Taste of food, Sex, Music, Scenic places and Colorful pantings through our senses. We identify and enjoy these fruits of nature through our senses.

Spiritualism gives the person an opportunity to identify with three parameters of human existence. These three parameters are “Five senses, Five Universal Elements and Six Human Characteristics”.

The five senses of human body are Sight, Touch, Hearing ability, Taste and Smell.

These five senses are also related to the five universal elements of the universe that are Air, Water, Ether, Earth and Fire.These five elements form a major part of medical study done in the Ayurvedic faculty. The reason being, the five elements are also relative to our inner faculties. We live in space - ether, we breathe air, we drink water, we cannot survive without earth that grows the food that we eat and Fire - Heat is also required for our survival.

The self is not limited to a person's name, personality, character and all other exterior characteristics. The self is made of six characteristics namely - Memory, Mind, Body, Intellect, Breath, and Ego.

Spiritualism means knowing the self. We can identify any person with these six characteristics. Hence, we are made from the same matter and we are all part of the same source and energy.

Spiritualism is the basic foundation of human existence. Unless this basic education is imparted, however bright the student is, there is always a chance of failure. Today most of the violence and negative elements in the society are a result of ignorance about this education. There are so many cases of psychological disorders that are diagnosed in children. You may have heard about a few such as Anxiety disorder. When a person loses control of the mind the intellect does not work. When we cannot identify with the self and the universe around us we become erratic and unacceptable in the society. All these problems arise because of ignorance towards our body, mind, intellect, ego, memory and breath. Just knowing a little about each of these human characteristics we can live a very happy life.

Let me end this discussion with the essentials for better functioning of all the six human characteristics:

Body functions perfectly with the right diet and exercise (Carbohydrates, Minerals, Proteins and so on...)

Mind functions perfectly with Peace, tranquility and Stillness! This is the answer to - Why one should meditate and do Yoga?

Intellect functions perfectly with Knowledge. Education plays a role only to promote the proper functioning of intellect. Education is an integral part of our lives but it is not a sole factor responsible for the development of child. Reading plenty of books does not guarantee success!

Ego needs to be dissolved in the presence of loved ones. There are some situations where ego may be helpful, for instance in business.

Memory is useful for day to day activities. There are many ways in which one can sharpen the memory. Education plays a good role in enhancement of both memory and intellect.

Proper breathing is necessary and it is a proven fact that adults unlike babies do not breathe 100%. Adults only utilize 30% of their lung capacity while breathing. Proper breathing also taught in Yoga can enhance both physical as well as mental health.

Spiritualism is the food for our Soul!

Spiritualism enhances the quality of our lives!

Spiritualism is a wholistic view towards a better life!

Edited by nishadb (see edit history)