xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Optical drives are gone from my computer System Does Not Detect Dvd/cdrom Drive

Optical drives are gone from my computerSystem Does Not Detect Dvd/cdrom DriveI have a Dell 8300 running xp home. Both my optical drives have disappeared from my computer and don't work. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, changing the ide cable, deleting the lower and upper filters out of registry, since I have 2 seperate drives and both stopped working at the same time I seems unliklly that both drives failed at the same time. I cant get into local group policy because it is home. I updated my virus protection and scanned my drives and nothing. Any suggestions to try would be greatlly appreciated.-question by Rob

You could also try resetting you bios, find the version of you motherboard and google it out.Just connect your hard drive, then the CD Drive, If it wont work, try switching the IDE cable from you hard drive to the cd rom drive and the cd rom drive cable to the hard drive.I experienced this problem most of the time, those things helped.Be safe, unplug the power cord first.Gudluck

Reset fully your BIOS or do Optimal settings.If that doesn't work, try another optical drive, open your PC case and get the battery off. After 30 seconds put it back on and reconnect all optical drives.It could also be your mobo dying.GL

This is a drivers issue I have had this before. In windows XP Go to > Start > Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > At the site press Device Manager.Unfold - DVD/CD-ROM drives.Unfold - Other Devices.Now with the DVD Check if it has a "!" icon. This means the drivers are not up to date or corrupt. If your DVD drives are not there they will be in Other Devices this where you will need Drivers or they will never work.Hope I helped :lol:.