xisto Community
The Simpleton

A Linux Distro Full Of Games

I think some of you might have heard about this one - it's a linux distribution based on Arch Linux, and it is primarily built for gaming! It boasts of having a collection of the best games available in linux - don't know how much of that is true! Anyway, it is called linuX-gamers and from the looks of their site, it looks interesting.

They have six versions of the distribution - two each for CDs, DVDs and USBs - ranging from 700MB to 5GB. So the bigger the distribution, the better the games - that's the concept! Here's a list of games in their site - I've never tried any of them so don't know how they are:

armagetronad

astromenace

blobby

chromium-bsu

extremetuxracer

foobillard

frozen-bubble

hedgewars

lbreakout2

pingus

quadra

smc

teeworlds

worldofgoo-demo

xmoto

btanks

fretsonfire

glest

maniadrive

neverball

neverputt

nexuiz

openlierox

sauerbraten

scorched3d

supertuxkart

torcs

tremulous

urbanterror

warsow

warzone

wesnoth

widelands

worldofpadman

The ones which are in bold are only available in the bigger distros. I can't wait to try this one out. I'm a subscriber to the computing magazine CHIP and they're giving an ISO image of this distro next month so I'm looking forward to getting it. Does anyone of you have this already?

I think some of you might have heard about this one - it's a linux distribution based on Arch Linux, and it is primarily built for gaming! It boasts of having a collection of the best games available in linux - don't know how much of that is true! Anyway, it is called linuX-gamers and from the looks of their site, it looks interesting.

They have six versions of the distribution - two each for CDs, DVDs and USBs - ranging from 700MB to 5GB. So the bigger the distribution, the better the games - that's the concept! Here's a list of games in their site - I've never tried any of them so don't know how they are:

The ones which are in bold are only available in the bigger distros. I can't wait to try this one out. I'm a subscriber to the computing magazine CHIP and they're giving an ISO image of this distro next month so I'm looking forward to getting it. Does anyone of you have this already?

Wow, it is a good way to promote Linux.

Even I would not install a Linux dist which is full of games. ;)

Posted Image

See the penguin wielding a big gun? It would be more handsome if it can stand up.

Wow, it is a good way to promote Linux.Even I would not install a Linux dist which is full of games. laugh.gif

I think a lot of people will agree with you on this point - they will simple use the Live DVD whenever they want to play something and pop out the DVD after they're done. Wasting hard disk space for the sake of these heavy games isn't a good option, and anyway, since there's no installation or anything like that it's more convenient to just use the live DVD at convenience.

I haven't used this distribution, but I've played quite a few of the games. I don't really see the need for a specific distribution full of games when pretty much any distribution can install them from repositories, packages or even source code if you want. The convenience of a live CD or DVD is OK, but I don't think it will work too well for intensive games - loading the whole game from the DVD, along with the whole OS, into memory has got to slow things down.

I haven't used this distribution, but I've played quite a few of the games. I don't really see the need for a specific distribution full of games when pretty much any distribution can install them from repositories, packages or even source code if you want. The convenience of a live CD or DVD is OK, but I don't think it will work too well for intensive games - loading the whole game from the DVD, along with the whole OS, into memory has got to slow things down.

The only disadvantage of using a live CD/DVD is the long boot-up/shut down times. But after that small inconvenience, I think there won't be any more problem, will there? Ubuntu needs just 256MB of RAM and it won't use all of that at a given time. These days the minimum amount of RAM that most people seem to be having is 1GB. So I think there won't be a big problem for using this procedure. IT has more pros than cons, in my opinion.

The only disadvantage of using a live CD/DVD is the long boot-up/shut down times. But after that small inconvenience, I think there won't be any more problem, will there? Ubuntu needs just 256MB of RAM and it won't use all of that at a given time. These days the minimum amount of RAM that most people seem to be having is 1GB. So I think there won't be a big problem for using this procedure. IT has more pros than cons, in my opinion.

If there is any spare pen drive, we can also make that as a mobile linux gaming station, because many pen drive is faster than DVD drive.

If there is any spare pen drive, we can also make that as a mobile linux gaming station, because many pen drive is faster than DVD drive.

yeah that's a good idea. But do you think most people will have a "spare" pen drive? They are the most used portable storage devices and I highly doubt if anyone would be willing to sacrifice the utility of it for the sake of games. A DVD on the other hand, can be burnt and kept handy whenever needed.