xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ne0n

My Veg Garden

Some times when we have a small garden or if it is covered over with slabs or decking, we think we are not able to have a garden, but you can. Container gardens are extremly a good way of taking the place of the garden, providing you take time out to keep them well watered. It is not only the plants that can be grown in pots, we can graw veg or herbs, Potaoes are good grown in a container, but you really must water them, you can grow Strawberries in them. Another thing you can grow in containers are root veg, now a lot of people will not try this, but me I dont give a tinkers cus, I grow what I want where I want it. If it grows it will grow where if you want enough to put it there, again you must water. Now I dont have a veg garden, but I do grow plants and in between them I grow what ever veg I want, Tomatoes go in between the flowers, dont bother with grow bags, pain in the rear they are, they are not deep so no roots can really get a hold, get a container and grow in that. Now a container I use for little flowers is a little plastic tray that came one day with the Chinese meal we ordered, I lined it with felt, the potting compost and put the plants in it, I have them hanging on the fence in the garden, and do you know what they are being held up by, Its being held up by my old shopping trolly, the bag wore out, I could`nt find no place for the the wheelie part so I FIXED the plastic tray on it hubby put some hooks in the fence and hey presto a new wall basket for flowers, when I figure out how to put thumb nail pictures on here I will show you. I recycle everything,plastic milk bottles for winter sowing, if its no use any more then I will find a use for it. I have an old bike at the end of the garden I will be using that later on for plants to climb over. Just remember you can us anything and use your containers, heres an idea for you, put Lobilla round the edge of a container, just inside of that put some small Asters, in the centre put a big bamboo cane, also put a tomatoe plant in the center the cane will be ready for when you need it, in between the stick and the Asters put some Potatoe vine, when the summer is here you will have a beautiful display and tomatoes to eat.Sorry for the spellingP.S As you may of noticed I love gardens

Hey, now there's a great idea, using an old bike for a trelis. Recently I saw where someone had used an old bike out in their yard, painted it all black, and had a big flower pot on the seat, it looked really nice they way the had it. Very decorative! My sister in law has a whole garden on her back deck, lots of tomatoe plants mostly, and a few other things. She can really raise a lot of tomatoes that way. I do some container gardening, but not that much since we live out in the country on a farm and have lots of room for a real garden. But I have a lot of big containers that we used to get goat mineral licks in, and they make fantastic garden tubs for plants. (after of course, you remove all traces of salt from them) I also like to paint up old water buckets the dogs have battered up for flowers, a bit of paint and you have some pretty interesting containers. Not much is wasted here either. Like you, I save all sorts of plastic containers, to start seeds in and all that sort of thing. Another handy thing to do is cut the tops off of milk or especially any larger clear tall plastic containers, like the 2 liter soda bottles. Use a thumb tack and stick them to a short scrap of 2X4 in the spring when you put your plants out early, in case of a frost, you can cover them up quickly.