xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FruitRocks

Where's My Private_ftp Folder?

I know that I have a public_ftp folder, but do I have a private_ftp folder (I just bought the Unlimited Storage and Bandwith, and would like to backup some of my files there).

Don't you use FTP to upload files to your website? You should be able to connect to your domain at ftp.YourDomain.Com(org,net) port 21 (which is default and usually not needed) and use your username and password. This gives you access to all of your files and lets you upload many files at once with a ftp client (such as the free FileZilla). As for the public_ftp folder, I haven't a clue what that's for but someone said you have to ask to have it activated. I don't know. I'm not sure what you mean by private_ftp, but I think your entire "root" folder is your private ftp. Just create a folder (but not in public_html/www) and backup some of your stuff.

Don't you use FTP to upload files to your website? You should be able to connect to your domain at ftp.YourDomain.Com(org,net) port 21 (which is default and usually not needed) and use your username and password. This gives you access to all of your files and lets you upload many files at once with a ftp client (such as the free FileZilla). As for the public_ftp folder, I haven't a clue what that's for but someone said you have to ask to have it activated. I don't know. I'm not sure what you mean by private_ftp, but I think your entire "root" folder is your private ftp. Just create a folder (but not in public_html/www) and backup some of your stuff.

I know. I tried uploading to my website (I purchased a domain name and hosting) using FileZilla but everytime that I would try to upload it it would give me a Failed to Connect to error. Everything is setup properly, so I don't know why it shouldn't.

I have no problem with it. When you try to connect, it doesn't even ask for a user name and password in the log window? I forget but maybe you have to go into your CPanel (Control Panel) and create a username called "admin" with full access. I'm not sure if it's already there when you register or not, for some reason I think I remember having to create the ftp account myself.

I have an FTP related question for a mod if they happen to be checking this out, hope it's not considering hijacking because it seems to fit the topic of getting FTP working.

While trying to help FruitRocks, I discovered that http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (the default port for http) is a valid address. I know this isn't how to access the FTP, but it comes up with an Apache/Cpanel page and I don't think it should. I can't even understand what ftp.mydomain.com:80 is for.

If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.

How can this "placeholder page" be removed? And what does the Public_ftp really do?! So many mysteries.