xisto Community
XLcatloveress

German Windows Xp, Need To Change Language To English

Hello everyone,

I have a laptop on which Windows XP was installed over here in Germany (German license, German program). Now I installed my (bought in America-) Guild Wars game on it, connected to the offered server to finish the installation and found that my Guild Wars game 'speaks' German to me now (for example, where it should say 'log in', it says 'einloggen', where the game prompt for me to use would be 'talk', it says 'sprechen' etc. etc.). I contacted support and after a long few emails going back and forth, the reply for fixing this issue was The only way to correct this is to set the Windows Default Language to English U.S.

Now .. I would LOVE for my whole interface (desktop, start menu, program folders etc. etc.) to be English rather than German (I just didn't pay attention when I had someone 'downgrade' my laptop from Vista to XP and they legally acquired a used German license rather than an American one - meh). So .. is there a way to set my whole computer to English, thus fixing not only my annoyance with my start menu, desktop labeling etc. but also, in one sweep, apparently fixing my Guild Wars problem?

I am a big time scaredy cat when it comes to altering anything in my computer's settings so .. a very detailed, complete run-down would be highly appreciated, folks - otherwise I know I'll mess it up ;)

Thanks already for everyones' help and effort,

silky cat

Ok here i made up a little guide for you! Please note my theme is going to look different and my windows is english however you can follow the icons!

STEP1: Open up the Control Panel, The icon should be the same but the wording may be in german

Posted Image

STEP2: Open up the Regional and language options again, icon should be the same text may be in german

Posted Image

STEP3: Select the language of your choice, in your case choose english. All the languages will probably be in german with the languages names in their own language in brackets, you can see what i mean in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

Thanks for this attempt but sadly, it didn't do anything but change my date/time format *sigh* Everything else is still in German - like the Start Menu, the desktop icon names (where, for example, it says Arbeitsplatz instead of My Computer or Eigene Daten instead of My Documents. In the Start Menu, it still reads Programme instead of Programs and Beenden instead of Turn off Computer, just to give a few examples). Also, Guild Wars still runs in German too. *sigh* Anyone got a different idea? Pretty please? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks for this attempt but sadly, it didn't do anything but change my date/time format *sigh* Everything else is still in German - like the Start Menu, the desktop icon names (where, for example, it says Arbeitsplatz instead of My Computer or Eigene Daten instead of My Documents. In the Start Menu, it still reads Programme instead of Programs and Beenden instead of Turn off Computer, just to give a few examples). Also, Guild Wars still runs in German too. *sigh* Anyone got a different idea? Pretty please? This is driving me nuts!

Didnt you have a choice when you was installing what language you wanted.
I know I did and I choose English ;)

Phoneix.

I didn't get to choose anything since I wasn't the one installing XP. A friend of mine downgraded a new Vista laptop to XP for me, as I stated in the first post. What are you saying? That I should scrub XP off my drive and reinstall it to see if I can choose the language setting?

Also when in Regional Settings hit the advanced tab to the far right and change the language there to ENGLISH.

;)

Hello everyone,

I have a laptop on which Windows XP was installed over here in Germany (German license, German program). Now I installed my (bought in America-) Guild Wars game on it, connected to the offered server to finish the installation and found that my Guild Wars game 'speaks' German to me now (for example, where it should say 'log in', it says 'einloggen', where the game prompt for me to use would be 'talk', it says 'sprechen' etc. etc.). I contacted support and after a long few emails going back and forth, the reply for fixing this issue was The only way to correct this is to set the Windows Default Language to English U.S.

Now .. I would LOVE for my whole interface (desktop, start menu, program folders etc. etc.) to be English rather than German (I just didn't pay attention when I had someone 'downgrade' my laptop from Vista to XP and they legally acquired a used German license rather than an American one - meh). So .. is there a way to set my whole computer to English, thus fixing not only my annoyance with my start menu, desktop labeling etc. but also, in one sweep, apparently fixing my Guild Wars problem?

I am a big time scaredy cat when it comes to altering anything in my computer's settings so .. a very detailed, complete run-down would be highly appreciated, folks - otherwise I know I'll mess it up ;)

Thanks already for everyones' help and effort,

silky cat

You may solve the problem in two ways:

1. Enter Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings -> Advanced (the third tab)

2. Choose "English" from the drop-down list of "non-Unicode Language" panel

3. Restart your computer and verify by your Guild war

The alternative way takes advantages of an tool called AppLoc.

1. Download Microsoft AppLoc install package from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

2. Install, and open it from Start Menu -> Microsoft AppLoc-> AppLoc

3. In the AppLoc wizard, choose your Guild War launcher program as the executable, English as the desired language.

4. (OPTIONAL) Still, you may choose creating an shortcut at the final step of the wizard for furthur usage.

5. The launcher program is usually be executed after the wizard. Check if your guild war speaks English.

I hope my methods help.

AnswerGerman Windows Xp, Need To Change Language To English

I believe that is not possible to change language. It works only from english to others, not vice versa.

You can try , installing the microsoft language interface pack and maybe I am wrong with "vice versa".

If your computer is under warranty, you can always "Ghost" the C: partition ( under which you have XP installed ) and put the ghost image on some DVD or another partition, and install another XP PRO SP2 or whatever you's like and in case of problems with hardware u format C and restore the ghost image to C so that you will have the "original" xp when you'll go with pc to be repaired.

But it's better to install Xp from 0.

-reply by Cornel

Language Setting, German KeyboardGerman Windows Xp, Need To Change Language To English

Hi everyone,

I bought a laptop in Germany with German language and keyboard setting. I have Vista installed in my computer. 

Now, I want to downgrade my computer to windows XP in English. If I install XP English, I will still have the German keyboard. Is there any keyboard setup option in XP?

I love Germany and the Language/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley1.Gif. But I want to change it to English. Can someone help me?

-question by Md. Manjur Morshed

doesnt workGerman Windows Xp, Need To Change Language To English

hey, non of above mentioned methods work.I tried everything but it' s not working.Any other method or I really have to reinstall the whole windows to get english? that's so stupid!

-reply by james

Windows XP Home SP1 in italian; trying to run windows update says that the update couldn't be executed because the computer's laguage is different from english (you can't get it in any other language, even if there is the option). Tried to install the MUI pack from Microsoft, but i need to have SP3 installed. So here's the vicious circle! Any help would be really apreciated. Thanx

My personal experience tells me that getting language exactly right is no easy task with Windows unless your choice of language is English. You typically start from "Regional and Language Options", but there is more than that. You will find out what I mean when you happen to access some websites programmed with old techniques. When you think you have solved problems related to language, it is likely that you haven't visited websites with old, old technologies yet.