xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Grid Effect In Photoshop

I want to know how to accomplish this GRID style effect in photoshop. i've attached the image for the reference on how i want to accomplish the effect. you can pick any random photo to give me a pointer that shows this effect. Similar to this effect is already made on trap's home page but it is in flash. and i want to know how to create such a GRID using Photoshop. see the attachment for the effect. post-3388-1249491538_thumb.jpgPlease post your feedback, suggestions for this effect. Thanks.

That kind of grid effect can be done in many ways but some methods are easier and may prove more suitable depending on the situation you intend to use it for. Not all grids are the same right? and there are many factors but if you just want a simple white line effect that tiles to any image size then consider using the patterns tool.

Here's one way to go about it:Start a new document whose width and height are small but equal to each other (e.g. 20x20) (i.e. if you want a square, rather than rectangular, pattern). Make sure the background (or only available) layer is transparent. Make an "L" in either black or white. That is, use the one-pixel width and height selection tools and select the left (or right) edge and select the bottom (or top) edge. Then fill in the selection with the black (or white) color. Deselect the selection and click on Edit > Define Pattern (unless it's else where; i haven't used Photoshop since CS2). After providing a name and accepting, you can now use it as a pattern and fill any layer with it.

Thanks truefusion. that worked. that is one good method to play with GRID's. i tried one more method of creating grids. it is in filters. we have to go to Filter > texture > patchwork. where we can set the size of square. i tried both the methods.

Thanks once again.

To mention a similar method for GIMP users, the same effect can be achieved under Filters > Render > Pattern > Grid. If you mess around with the intersection column and others, you can get some more complex or more interesting grid patterns. For example:

post-8528-1249592477_thumb.jpg