xisto Community
Mermaid711

Using Honey To Treat The Eyes.

Can you just elaborate for me? I don't want to do anything wrong or make a mistake to god forbid hurt my eyes so can you tell me exactly what to do? Do you boil the honey also, or just the water? What type of water or honey should you use? How much should you put in? What measurement do you use besides for the basic 1:2 ratio? Sorry if I'm coming across as annoying but I'm really curious and really want to know!! I think it's an amazing idea

Rebecca, forget about the measurement. Warm up some distilled water if you are worried about filtered water, and mix a little with honey to dilute it down so you can drop it in your eye. Make sure you did not make it hot, and drop it in your eye, OR use the honey straight like iguest.

Thank You for your Great Topics."For at least 2700 years, honey has been used to treat a variety of ailments through topical application, but only recently have the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of honey been chemically explained. Wound Gels that contain antibacterial honey and have regulatory approval for wound care are now available to help conventional medicine in the battle against drug resistant strains of bacteria MRSA. As an antimicrobial agent honey may have the potential for treating a variety of ailments. One New Zealand researcher says a particular type of honey may be useful in treating MRSA infections. Antibacterial properties of honey are the result of the low water activity causing osmosis, hydrogen peroxide effect, and high acidity. Honey may also be used to alleviate the effects of a sore throat, by mixing with lemon juice and consumed. The mixture coats the throat alleviating discomfort, and the antibacterial, antiseptic properties are good for the throat as well."Honey contains copper, iron, silica, vitamin B, manganese, chlorine, calcium, potassium, sodium, phosphorous, aluminum and magnesium. Depending on the part of the world where the honey comes from, honey will vary in mineral content.

*sighs*Yes, most honey has VERY SLIGHT antibacterial properties - nowhere near the sort of levels you get with, say, a tablet of penicilin.It always amazes me that people are quite happy to put their trust in the unchecked word of other people simply because they have some bizarre notion of what 'natural' means.If you have a bacterial or fungal infection in the eye then honey might well help. It will NOT help with an allergic reaction and, in any case, you would get better results with a standard antibiotic.There IS some honey (Manuka) that appears to have interesting properties with regard to promoting regeneration of tissue - but that is specially produced in New Zealand and is NOT the stuff you buy at the supermarket. The best thing to do with supermarkey honey is put it onto bread and butter and eat it - don't pour it into your eyes or any orifice other than the mouth.

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

Bikerman (and others), I had a problem with typical antibiotics; my body started to respond badly. I got rashes, and my nails even started to separate from my nail beds. Not good!! Last fall, I was on two different antibiotics for double pink eye, and I'm not even sure they worked. On the other hand, I got pink eye again just a week and a half or so ago, and found a natural honey remedy online (1:1 milk and honey, heated just until the honey was able to be mixed in and dissolve, then 2 or 3 drops every 3-4 hours). I used it, and within 24 hours, my eye was considerably less 'pink', and felt much better. Typical antibiotics should NOT be used as often as they are prescribed.

If my eyes get to burning or itching, I use aloe vera in them. The pure juice stuff, with no additives. Burns a bit at first, like some here have said the honey does, but stops burning quickly and really soothes the eye irritation. But my sister in law just told me of another honey cure that also seems to work really well. For bad cronic coughs, mix a tablespoon full of honey with one fourth of a teaspoon of cinnimon and eat it. Not only is it delicious, it works really well for coughs. Her son has emphasema and cronic lung problems, and it has helped him immensly. Personally, I like to make a little bit more, and eat it by dipping bits of buttered chocolate flavored graham crackers in it and eating it that way. I got an email a few months ago about all kinds of things honey and cinnamon are supposed to be good for. Wish I could remember some of them, the list was quite long.