xisto Community
ashutosh_malguri

A Brief Review Of Google Os [aka] Google Chrome Os

Plz share about Google os here what i have come across is that it is not a full fleged operating system like Microsoft's windows or linux but is a Browser OS . I dont know much about it but what i have observed from articles on Goolge [searched:Google os] i could only find Google chrome OS on the top 10 page ranks. I read articles headings like"Google OS Is Actually a Browser: Google Chrome" ,"Introducing the Google Chrome OS""Google's Chrome Operating System: We've Got It All Wrong"you can find all of them on the first page os search engine onlyI personally dont think that google will take such a step to launch a full fledged OS in an instant to a microsoft/mac occupied market ..it will happen one day but will take time .Sources tell that they are working on such a concept but i dont hink the have a plan to release it sooo early....

I dont know what exactly is goin on maybe i am wrong...plz express your views

I saw it, it's just based off Ubuntu with stuff added so it's not major. Not worth downloading, in my opinion and I downloaded a beta version and it ended up to be from... 2005.

as far as i know, Google Chrome OS is still vapour ware. hence nothing to review as of yet. if something supposedly out of 2005, as stated by SpiderVV, is downloadable somewhere in the interwebs claiming to be google chrome OS, i would surely doubt it's legitimacy... very, very much. :) a lot of hoaxters are sprouting left and right since the new OS was announced laying claim to have hatched a coup on being the first to have seen the OS in action and making it public (screenshots included, apparently in bootup stage). nevertheless, as it is still vapour ware, it's easy to spot the hoax. :P google hasn't even called for open-source developers for this project yet. let's wait a few more months. we can have a better review which are not merely suppositions. :D

I saw it, it's just based off Ubuntu with stuff added so it's not major. Not worth downloading, in my opinion and I downloaded a beta version and it ended up to be from... 2005.

So what you're saying is that applications like Synaptic Manager will work on Google Chrome OS?
Where do I get the beta version of it?

Android =/= Chrome OS :)

Android =/= Chrome OS :)

Yep, they're different. As SpiderVV said, it's a linux with google chrome browser inside it, and you run your apps inside the browser. But this only useful for ppl who spend their time time on the web. For they who don't have a nice net connection, than this would be a big problem. I'd rather using Ubuntu + linux version of Google chrome (haven't released yet) than downloading google chrome OS :D But if google planning to develope a new linux distro (not a cloud OS one), then it's worth enough to try ;p

I'd rather using Ubuntu + linux version of Google chrome (haven't released yet) than downloading google chrome OS :)

Google has not yet released the Chrome Browser for Linux, but you can download Chromium Browser from the repositories using Synaptic Package Manager. Chromium is an Open Source Browser that Chrome is based on. Works great in Ubuntu, with none of the Google ad stuff.

From what I've heard about google's os is that it's for google employees and it's preloaded with apps and settings convenient for employees to use. It uses Linux and I assume it's derived from ubuntu.There shouldn't be any reason to try google's os unless one just wanted to see the differences between their specialized flavor of Linux and other flavors. Btw, there are websites to let you create/customize your own Linux flavor.-Ange.

@jihaslipYep, i've read that from chromium site. But I don't want to install it because of it's privacy problem.@angeWhat do you mean with "Btw, there are websites to let you create/customize your own Linux flavor."?

thanks but google has steadily become creepier with each new "free" application... I don't need their tentacles informing them of my ever habit and interaction at a packet- and kernel level

Edited by Time Warner Cable SUCKS (see edit history)