xisto Community
Baniboy

Question About The Domains And Hosting

I have the cheapest logic package, and a domain name on it. I want to add an add-on domain to my hosting package. After I've done that, if my main domain name for the hosting expires, will the add-on domain become the new main domain for the hosting? I'm trying to dump my old domain and replace with a new one... is it possible?Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about the add-on domain but I think it can be done. Just yesterday I changed my old domain name for a new one and it was done within a day, although I was charged $1.00 for doing so. If I'm not wrong this can be done manually, although I'm not sure about the exact procedure. I'm sure you'll get a few expert opinions here but the best thing to do would be to open a support ticket - that would be the right thing to do.

I can't change the name... I want a message to be displayed when someone comes to the site. displaying : "this site has been deleted and replaced with this site: www. something.com" That's why

So lets say you have two domains... https://www.ebayinc.com/ and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, and both of their DNS points to your Xisto hosting.If x.com was your first domain, the files for it are in public_html. When you add y.com, the files for that are in public_html/y. To solve your problem, and you are switching over from x.com to y.com, there are a few options. 1. rename public_html/y to public_html/x. Add a redirect page into public_html/x so that everyone who visits x.com is now redirected to y.com. or2. move all the files from public_html to public_html/y. Add a redirect page into public_html so that everyone who vists x.com is now redirected to y.com. or 3. You can simply "park" y.com on top of x.com, and both domains will point to the same content.Edit: I haz spelz gud.

Edited by HDuffRules (see edit history)

Wouldn't that be called url redirecting? I think there's a small fee for that to be done. It's one of the products available in the xisto site - using it members to your old site would automatically be redirected to your new site without having to know the address. Then on your new site you can put in a message informing viewers about the change in domain.

You have missed my whole point! I'm asking what happens when my main domain expires. I know how to redirect my domain. I was just asking that when my main domain expires, does the add-on domain become the new main domain or what? Please make sure you understand my question before replying.

I want a message to be displayed when someone comes to the site. displaying : "this site has been deleted and replaced with this site: www. something.com"

I believe I correctly understood and answered this question explicitly.

In regards to the other question about domain name expiration, Solution 1 will solve your problem. After x.com expires, simply delete the folder public_html/x. Solutions 2 and 3 is temporary for while both domains are still active.

The whole idea is that as long as both of the DNS point to the same hosting, there is no "main" domain. They are both active at the same time. When one of them goes kaput, nothing happens to the other one, it keeps working.

Edit: I haz 1337 spelling skillz.
Edited by HDuffRules (see edit history)

I believe I correctly understood and answered this question explicitly.

In regards to the other question about domain name expiration, Solution 1 will solve your problem. After x.com expires, simply delete the folder public_html/x. Solutions 2 and 3 is temporary for while both domains are still active.

The whole idea is that as long as both of the DNS point to the same hosting, there is no "main" domain. They are both active at the same time. When one of them goes kaput, nothing happens to the other one, it keeps working.

Edit: I haz 1337 spelling skillz.

I don't see a question mark there. I'm not that stupid to need help to make a redirect. I just said that to explain the reason for the other question.
Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)