xisto Community
Veradesigns

Fiber Optic Wired Houses Soon or not

We all know businesses use Fiber Optic Wired Internet that transfer at a rate no normal home is possible to download at.

But here is some stuff i recently found out.

How does one increase one's home Internet speed, and by over 25 times at that (in theory, of course)? Why, by using a plastic optical fiber, of course. A research team led by Hwang Seung-sang has succeeded in making a home network system using the new data communication cable after half a dozen years of experimenting. With this plastic optical fiber, one can achieve data transmission of up to 2.5Gb/s, far outstripping current home Internet lines that can carry data at 100Mb/s. Sounds great, and while real world performance won't even come anywhere near the 2.5Gb/s mark, it makes perfect sense that the end result will still be way faster than what we have today. Just roll it out already, Einsteins!

Posted Image

Information Is unknown at the moment, till now but hopefully in the future this will be next on our door step waiting to get payed monthly.

Info can be found in here.

http://techgadgetsinfo.blogspot.de/2007_11_01_archive.html

Hi!It is quite possible to reach the 2.5Gbps speed with cheaper copper wiring too. The 802.3ea standard defined in 2002 makes it possible to achieve a theoretical limit of 10Gbps transfer rate; you'll also find implementations as early as 2003/2004. Right now, a 10Gbps link is quite common in higher end data centers. NIC bonding makes it possible to reach speeds of 40Gbps even on a low-end blade server (with the 4 NICs).However, to support the higher speeds, your ISP would have to spend a whole lot more on bandwidth and only a handful of consumers would be willing to pay the cost so they'd just wait till the demand for it increases and the cost of the additional bandwidth decreases.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Hi!
It is quite possible to reach the 2.5Gbps speed with cheaper copper wiring too. The 802.3ea standard defined in 2002 makes it possible to achieve a theoretical limit of 10Gbps transfer rate; you'll also find implementations as early as 2003/2004. Right now, a 10Gbps link is quite common in higher end data centers. NIC bonding makes it possible to reach speeds of 40Gbps even on a low-end blade server (with the 4 NICs).

However, to support the higher speeds, your ISP would have to spend a whole lot more on bandwidth and only a handful of consumers would be willing to pay the cost so they'd just wait till the demand for it increases and the cost of the additional bandwidth decreases.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

@'k_nitin_r well its not much but yea 40gbps is not exactly like the life download speed but i know its really speedy, and your right its better to wait this fiber optic services get cheaper, cant wait to try it =] hopefully home fiber optic internet goes for 40-80$ monthly then i would purchase it right away there speeds are incredible.

Epic fail on your link. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ < permalink so you don't have to dig through the archive.

Fiber optics and other telecommunication and networking mediums are as fast if not faster, and have been about the same for awhile. The only advancements in the technology are the switches at each end of the line. Even so, if you layer your home in fiber optics, who cares (besides your pocket book)? Your Ethernet will be blazing but your ISP will cap your *bottom*!

pun intended.

True indeed that internet would be blazing but we all know the internet companies will cap us at a certain limit. (Comcast capping at 50G a month?) But seriously, we would be downloading a great speed but with the way the economy is going today, who would really fish out the extra money to get more download speed that they really dont need? certain ISPs offers 1.5 - 50mbps? if not more? But in a serious sense? Are we really downloading anything that require that much? Do you really need to get that file instantly? (I'm assuming your not downloading that would promote priacy)

This already exists. Verizon FiOS has been available to most of the United States for quite a while now, and they are currently laying fiber optic cables in the UK to expand their network there. I don't use it at home, but reported speeds appears to be 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up. On a sidenote, I did a check on speedtest.net of the internet I'm using here at work (which I know is a fiberoptic network), and it runs 80 Mbps up and ~40 Mbps down.

this already exist to FIOS which what i was mentioning. I have it in my current home. but what i believe he was mentioned is actually directly wiring your own home with fiber optic.new modern homebuilders are actually wiring there home to be completly wireless if not have a ethernet port in every room. his suggestion was to wire his home to be fiber optic to get a true speed of it. fiberoptic network provided by verizon wireless only goes from the telephone poles and gets translated from there to regular cable to the wireless fios router that verionz provide that you can then use ethernet. instead of using ethernet by using maybe changing the switch it could bring a faster speed. but what computer would be able to handle that kind of traffic of data streaming at the speed of light?

Hi!@VeradesignsIf 40Gbps isn't enough for you, there's a standard to achieve 100Gbps over standard copper cable too, but you'll probably have to spend a lot on the network interfaces. As explained earlier about 10Gbps, you can achieve transfer speeds of 400-800Gbps or higher with NIC bonding on a mid range server.@onitenkiThe monthly cap is really crap. The ISP advertises an "unlimited" package, but then in the fine print they mention that you've got to pay for all transfer that exceed a certain limit so that's not really unlimited, is it? When you've got the bandwidth, you'll eventually find something to take it up - right from hosting a website on your own desktop to video conferencing with buddies in HD goodness :-)BTW, whether or not you have fiber optic connections at home doesn't really matter when the bottle neck is at the point that connects all the houses in your area to the ISP. For instance, if you had a 256kbps connection, it wouldn't really matter if you connected your DSL model via USB 1.1, 10Mbps ethernet or 100Mbps ethernet - you would still get no more than the 256kbps since that's your bottle neck.Regards,Nitin Reddy

and they are currently laying fiber optic cables in the UK to expand their network there

I KNEW it!!!

There have been trenches dug and the large cable carrying plastic tubes laid near my house and on the road leading to the phone exchange and one of the workmen was wearing a verizon jacket so i suspected fiber to the cabinet was coming :angel: Good times!

Just a shame its only to the cabinet :( Still gotta rely on old fashioned copper but were slowly getting there.

installation is about 4 to 6 hours long so hope u have that big cup of coffee around. and they wont do it unless ur home. Nothing is unlimited when they say unlimited. some places that offer regular broadband cap at 25 to 50gb a month. so that not great if u are into big data transfer from unknown sources. i pay about 54.99 USD tax-free a month but if i hit my cap which i dont know exactly what it is. i expect to pay about 100 bucks. but no more then that. i feel like sometimes they are really misleading with the advertisements to get u set up. and god once they finished putting the groundwork to get u fiberoptic in ur neighbor hood. the door to door sales start ringing and persuading u to sign up with them. ur right it doesnt make a difference but it does matter if u are transfering from ur own network and not from isp. but then again it all depends on what kind of network u got setting up.