xisto Community
Fractured.Logic

Doppelganger Subforums! I have discovered an evil twin anomaly Should it be fixed?

Doppelganger Subforum Issue:  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, so to briefly describe the inspiration for this topic:I replied to a topic in "Meditation, Pranayam, Yoga" under "Health and Fitness" earlier today and was happily browsing for others to comment on. After a few moments of scrolling back and forth, I happened to catch sight of a new topic post in the same forum area that I'd just been commenting in. A little concern popped in my head, since I'd experienced a loading issue on my end when I'd posted my reply. So, I checked the subforum to make sure my post had been accepted. I found that everything was fine, so I just figured that that forum section was particularly active today, and clicked back to "Open Discussion" to browse some more.While perusing, I caught sight of my name as I was scrolling, in a section I didn't recall posting in. So I took a closer look and recognized the topic title I'd recently replied to in the other area. I clicked on the topic link to make sure it was the same one; it was. So I double-checked the forum area: "Spirituality and Consciousness," which listed a subforum called "Spirituality and Meditation: Yoga, Meditation, and Pranayam".This inspired me to look closer at the other topics in both subforums. They matched, identically.So I am, therefore, led to believe that they are, indeed, the same subforum listed twice, in two different sections, with slightly different names.What are other members' and mods' opinion(s) concerning the nature of this doppelganger scenario? It doesn't seem to be very troublesome, but I keep recalling subjects mentioned about cleaning the Trap up a bit, and removing unnecessary/old sections among other things. Is this something that the Trap would benefit from fixing?

I vote to leave them as they are for now, until an Admin reviews them.It might be that they will retain the current structure since the Topic *could* be viewed as important to each to the Forum Topics they fall under.Let's wait and see, but thanks for pointing this out. Appreciated.

OpaQue honored me with a reply!

:(

Pardon me while I bask in the glow of attention from our most awesome Admin-ness...

[Emote]I pause to shake the syrup off of my skin, with an evil grin and a wink for OpaQue.[/Emote]

I do realize that they are the same forum... perhaps I have misled by my choice of topic titles, and I apologize for that. From my perspective, I had made a single reply, to what I thought was a single topic/forum, and later found it mirrored. By "mirrored," I mean that one section had moved on to list a different topic as having the most recent reply, and the other section listed that same topic I'd posted on as having the most recent reply. Thence was my reason for bringing it to your attention.

Though, this truly does not bother me, in the slightest bit... I'm just attempting to be helpful!

It doesn't seem to be very troublesome, but I keep recalling subjects mentioned about cleaning the Trap up a bit, and removing unnecessary/old sections among other things. Is this something that the Trap would benefit from fixing?

I am still an avid, adoring, enthusiastic supporter of the Trap, whether this is edited or not. However, bearing in mind the aforementioned topics concerning the Forums appearance and suchforth, I felt that this was worth denoting for consideration.

So I am, therefore, led to believe that they are, indeed, the same subforum listed twice, in two different sections, with slightly different names.

The above, quoted comment refers not to the URL address of the subforums (which is identical, as you have stated), but to the listings on the Forums main page. The "doppelganger" effect (as I, perhaps inaccurately, labelled the situation), in my opinion, exists because said forum is linked to within those two completely separate sections.

To explain this better (I hope!) :

Forum: Health and Fitness (WellnessPostive.com)

Subforums:

Men's Health,

Women's Health,

Hearing & Vision,

Martial Arts, Karate, Ninja...,

Meditation, Pranayam, Yoga

----- * -----

Forum: Spirituality and Consciousness

Subforums:

General - Introduction to Spirituality, Understanding Spirituality - Questions & Doubts,

Spirituality & Meditation : Yoga, Meditation, Pranayam.,

----- * -----

Please forgive any confusion that I may have caused you.

:excl:

:angel:

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

Is this about my thread on meditation? I had no idea my thread could become so controversial! (in a roundabout way). I see the doppelganger of which you speak. Spooky, eh? :(:excl: I guess it should be fixed, because it seems like a forum bug, but it doesn't bother me or anything. Impressive observation skills, though! You seem to be the first one ever to have noticed it!! Congratulations. :angel:

Is this about my thread on meditation? I had no idea my thread could become so controversial! (in a roundabout way). I see the doppelganger of which you speak. Spooky, eh? :angel: :)

You might be able to relate this to the "Butterfly Effect," with the notoriety that it's achieved, thusfar! :excl:

I guess it should be fixed, because it seems like a forum bug, but it doesn't bother me or anything. Impressive observation skills, though! You seem to be the first one ever to have noticed it!! Congratulations. :excl:

Me? Impressive observations skills? :(

Maybe when it comes to tracking my own posts... sometimes! :excl:

Thanks for the compliment though. :) I look forward to hearing some more about what others think should be done about this.

[Emote] I nod, mock-sagely, poorly hiding a twitching grin. [/Emote]