xisto Community
The Simpleton

Project Gutenberg

I think most of you know about this site, but still, here it is:

Project Gutenberg

They have a "Project Gutenberg" and the aim of the project is to give out 1 trillion free e-books around the world. Now, I am no fan of e-books; in fact, I hate them. This site didn't change my view on e-books but it did give me some books that are very difficult to find in their print editions, especially difficult for me to find in India.

I got the complete works of Mark Twain, Shakespeare, and many others. Looking at some on the works of Mark Twain, I was surprised that to notice that 60% of them were unknown to me! I downloaded 2 collections (Twain and Shakespeare) and each collection is over 6000 pages! That's enough to last me for 10 years! So visit the site if you're interested and see what you can get!

Hi!I had a look at Project Gutenberg about a year after it started up. They had some very ancient texts that used the archaic English. It's surprising how they managed to find a trillion e-books - I didn't know so many existed with expired copyrights. There are a couple of e-books with lapsed copyrights available on online stores for a very low price... probably just for the cost of re-packaging the book into a PDF.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Gutenberg even offers thousands of ebooks to be downloaded in ISO fromats to burn them on disks. I think I can hardly read ten of them in the coming years, then having these thousands of ebooks is just for collection, may be to distribute it among our friends. Visit http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ fro more information. And as they clearly say it, that the ebooks offered in the CDs are atleast 80 years old:

For the most part, the original copyright on the materials distributed by Project Gutenberg has expired. This means that most of the books on the discs are at least 80+ years old, and you will almost certainly NOT find information about computers, video games, or other topics that you may be studying in school (unless perhaps you are an English major studying at a liberal arts college). The materials on a Project Gutenberg disc will NOT substitute for the textbooks that you are required to purchase. (Even if you are an English major, your professor will likely assign a particular edition of the books you will read.) There is NO information on Microsoft Windows, Linux, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, or Sony DreamCast. You will NOT find any information on defeating copy protection or how you can obtain "warez." If you are looking for any of these things, please do NOT download or request copies of the Project Gutenberg discs. It would be a waste of our limited time and money.

For those who cannot download them, they even mail free copies of the CD/DVD. Also, there is an option to customize the ebooks in a ISO and then download them: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/