xisto Community
longtimeago

Running Webservers With Home Ip Address

I wanted to start of this with a scenario. At home i do have an internet connection ( Broad Band ) and it runs through phone line. The Phone line uses an RJ -11 socket. The Router provided to me at home takes RJ-11 input ( that is the phone line ) and gives out RJ-45 Pin as output from which i get internet connection. Here, an UTP cable crimped with RJ 45 is used and i connect my computer with this router. This router does NATing, packet forwarding etc. So i have an dummy IP assigned for my computer ( 192.***.***.**) where as my external IP is a private one, that is 59.***.**.** . Now i am sure that this is not a dedicated IP which has been assigned to me , because every time when i turn off and turn on the router i am assisgned a new external IP. Here what confuses me is that how come this private IP behaves like a public IP ?? what i mean here is that with this 59.**.**.** IP address i am able to run a webserver at home. How is that happening. Then without getting a Dedicated public IP address everyone can easily run servers at home with the connection which they use and with the IP which is provided. All that you need to do is, Just hold the IP address which is assigned to you, that is see to that the router is not switched off. Because when you switch off and on the router. Then the old IP goes back to the IP POOL and new IP may be assigned from the POOL .

Hi!I'd like to clarify that the 59* IP addres that you are receiving from your ISP is not a private IP address, but is rather a public IP address. You can run a web server off your connection - a lot of people do when they start off. However, when you choose to go with a web hosting package, you get the reliability of having servers configured in a cluster and the backups are managed for you. You don't need your own UPS or generator and there's a server administrator available for support queries.It is still a good idea to use your own connection for setting up a staging environment though.Regards

If you have a program installed on your computer that listens to port 80, then anyone who knows your IP address will run into that program if they try to reaching that address through a browser. If you want to prevent access to your self-hosted website, then either install a firewall that prevents access to port 80 or change the port number so that people will have to guess the port number to access your self-hosted website.

Hi!@Truefusion:You can use the Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). It's included with Microsoft Windows - all you need to do is install it from Add Remove Programs - Windows Components, or Add Role - Web Server, depending on what version of Windows you are using.You can use Apache or TinyHTTPD if you're running Linux, FreeBSD, Unix or other Unix-like OSes. Apache is available from Windows too.Regards,Nitin Reddy

@nirmaldaniel Reading the last sentences of your post, I guess you are interested in running and experimenting your own server, which is accessible on the internet so anybody can access your hosted site. There is no need to hold the IP address by not switching off the router.

You can even point your domain to the site hosted on your PC. For this you need a way to make your IP address look permanent. This is usually done by a program given by freedns service providers. It basically points your current dynamic Ip to the subdomain provided by them which in turn points to your domain. You can visit these sites for more info: http://freedns.afraid.org/

http://www.dnsexit.com/Direct.sv?cmd=dynDns

https://www.zoneedit.com/

Edited by BCD (see edit history)