xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dangerdan

Who Declares Swine Flu A "pandemic"

The World Health Organisation today confirmed that the H1N1 strain of swine influenza has become a pandemic. Cases are on the rise in the UK and Australasia, as well as in the Americas where the virus was initially discovered.The virus was previously only an epidemic but the sharp rise in cases across different continents meant the WHO had to declare it a pandemic. The virus is endemic to the swine population and so I don't think this is the last we'll see of it. We just got to hope H5N1 (avian flu) doesn't return and mutate with H1N1 or all the jabs being produced around the world would become useless.

The World Health Organisation today confirmed that the H1N1 strain of swine influenza has become a pandemic. Cases are on the rise in the UK and Australasia, as well as in the Americas where the virus was initially discovered.
The virus was previously only an epidemic but the sharp rise in cases across different continents meant the WHO had to declare it a pandemic. The virus is endemic to the swine population and so I don't think this is the last we'll see of it. We just got to hope H5N1 (avian flu) doesn't return and mutate with H1N1 or all the jabs being produced around the world would become useless.

hehe... wow I was going to make a post regarding WHO's declararion of pandemic but you've posted this right before I was copying the link to the article.

Anyways, yea, hopefully it wont mutate as you've mentioned. If it did it would be even more difficult to stop.

not that such announcement will scare the influenza A-H1N1 virus, and will just retreat, wither, and die. we may have to expect that there will be a continuous rise in confirmed cases in the days ahead. we just had our first philippines case three weeks ago, and as of date, it already jumped to 92 confirmed cases, from 77 just the previous day. suspected cases, awaiting lab analysis, are still piling up though. thankfully, no fatal ones and most are under recovery (or so our department of health says). classes opened june 1 here, and school/community-wide transmission of the virus is a much greater risk. already, several schools & universities have suspended classes already and reset the opening for monday. we may start to get panicky soon, especially now that WHO has ruled it as a pandemic.

the UK had its first death from swine flu yesterday. i think the number of cases is around 400? but i am not entirely sure. and i saw scenes on the news of people in Hong Kong in biosuits and face masks! seems ridiculous to me people should not panic!

Listen... Swine flu isnt that bad!Its milder, or the same as seasonal flu, for which we dont panic. ITs death rate as of a few days ago based on 28,000 cases and only about 150 deaths is around 0.005% In the UK we have had over 1,260 CONFIRMED cases (could be double or triple not reported as they thought they had only a cold) and ONE death. You do the math... Its really not anything to worry about, not to mention the lady in question had underlying health issues that contributed to her situation. How to avoid swine flu? Easy, wash your hands. Done! The only other way you can get it is if someone coughs or sneezes in your face basically! Wash your hands and dont touch your face or food/drink with bare hands in public (its ok at home or if you've washed your hands) and you wont get ill. It really is that simple!People need to stop worrying!!

i seriously in my own opinion think this swine flu is just all BS. people overreact and panic as if its the one of the 7 seven deadly sins (is it 7?) or its the sign of the end of the world.can we just let this go and continue on with our miserable lives. i think we still have AIDS, HIV, HOV to cure dont we? and cancer? (rolls eyes)

Nobody here is worrying about swine flu. I know it is milder than normal flu and I'm also from the demogrpaphic least at risk.It is not worth worrying about as it is. The potential problem comes if H1N1 (swine flu) mutates with either seasonal flu or the H5N1 avian strain of flu. If this does happen, we could be left with a superflu which is immune to our vaccinations. If this doesn't happen, no problem.