xisto Community
novaforme

Overclocking So have you ever overcloked your comp

Yah i have neaver done it... my best friend is like the guy i have learned every thing from and he said hes going to do it it makes your cumputer run like two times as fast...but if you mess up you can like kill your cumputer right?? Help me out if i am wrong here..

well, burning a cpu is not easy guys... those things have thermal diodes and protection to shut it off before damage occurs. Unless your heatsink falls of (LOL) during a game or something it won't happen easily.And no, you can never get twice the performance from your computer with overclocking. Most attemps result in about 10-20% performance gain in CPU intensive apps, the impressive ones are about 30-40% gains, but they are not very common.

Performance gains depend on the cpu itself and the cooling for it, Take Intel for example, the cpu's coming off the same platter are not clocked at the same speed, you could get a 2.4Ghz cpu and clock it to 2.6 before it starts to fail but another cpu off the same platter running at 2.4Ghz might overclock to 2.8 or higher. but it also depends on the cooling, the lower the temp. of the cpu the less resistance. the high the clock.

i'm too chicken to overclock. my Athlon XP 1800 may be getting slower by the day, but my system runs toasty enough as it is. plus i've got generic ram, so it's not worth the risk. i also can't OC my Radeon 9600 Pro, the fan on it died :D

dude, if its fan died you better have it replaced quick... very quick! only the fan I mean, get a new one and replace it yourself. You are lucky it didn't bite the dust already.

nah, i'm not worried about it. the fan has been dead for almost a year now. this 9600 Pro runs cool as heck, it's amazing :D..... now watch my computer go up in flames.....

i was debating to overclock and decided against it ... i mean, i'm curious what you all are actually running, because let's face it, is it really worth it? sure, you can increatse your performance a little. but really if your running something so enormous where that would actually make a difference, why not just get another processor???? maybe i just don't understand ...

i had Intelpentium 4 (northwood) on 2,4 GhZ with FSB800MhZ...and abox cooler....you can't change multiplier on this processor,so i increased FSB....and thefinal clock ratio was....2,8GhZ..i didn't wanted to go higher because i had a box cooler....now i have a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (winchester)....(box cooler too)...and it's pretty fast so i don't have the urge to overclock it yet....but when i get new Power supply,better cooling(water cooling)...and new memory (now i have kingmax's RAM which have high CAS latency.).....there will be some Overclocking

i never actrually over clocked my graphics card but my brother did once and now it keeps overheating because hes damaged it forcing it to run to fast and now he has to keep the side panel fo the case off so the air can go round the graphics card cos othere wise it overheats and starts running slow. i would not recommend overclock because it will cost a lot of money to get it all replaced. ;)

Pentium processors are not made for overclocking and are the ones that are going to tend to fail easier and faster. In the other hand, AMD processors, for example AMD Athlon XP2500+ is one of the best processors to do the overclocking, it can go from 1Ghz to 2Ghz, and with a K7N2 Delta ATX motherboard, which can overclock the RAM too, your computer will be definately running fast.

Most of Intels processors have a fixed speed and there is no way to change it, unless you are a genius. But if you want overclocking, i would go with AMD.

Well you guys might still want to check out this website, with some more inside info, about O.C. iinsides of a processor ;)