xisto Community
novaforme

Overclocking So have you ever overcloked your comp

I overclocked my AMD Athlon 2500+ to a 3200+, and I have a Speeze cooler (which is very similar to a box cooler). The whole system worked just fine, until one day, my PC just froze up for a few seconds and switched off while I was playing Counter Strike. At first, I didn't know what was going on, but I opened up my case, and it was pretty hot in there! Here's the deal... In the middle of July (a very hot day), my PC was turned on at 9 o'clock (AM), and was running in a closed room till 10 o'clock (PM). I just took a shower, and cooled myself up with some lemonade, so I didn't feel any heat at all ;) .Fortunately, I have an Asus A7N8X motherboard, with C.O.P. (CPU overheating protection), and if the CPU temperature crosses a certain limit, the PC will shut down, saving my processor from going up into flames.BTW: Intel processors are much more resistant to heat than AMD, but that still doesn't mean that AMD is out of the game when it comes to overclocking.

I have rarely overclocked cpus. I did that only twice. My first time was 6 years ago and it was pentium 166 mhz. I tried to make it 200 mhz That time i burned the cpu and it was gone. lol The second time was couple days ago. It was of my friends 466 mhz celeron i overclocked it to 500 mhz and it's working on fine till now..

Overclocking has two really big cons,[1] the problem with overheating, wich can be overcomed, [2] the computer works in cycles, and information is decoded in cylcles. Imagine a that you have a class that you have to attend to from 11am to 12pm, if you get there at 9am and leave at 10pm you got there too early, or if you get there at 1pm and leave at 2pm, you completely missed the class and the things that you were going to learn. One of the biggest problems for the people that do overclocking is that they might have a serious problem with their computer and they might not even kknow it. If you are overclocking your computer, you may notice that if you leave you computer on for long periods of time the computer will start overheating, losing information when transfered from the processor, to the different paarts in the hardware, it will run slow, there will be delays when opening and running programs, so therefroe forcing you to reboot. Well its not to scare you or to have yous top overclocking your machine, i have mine overclocked and it has been like that for about 8 months, and i havend noticed anything bad, but i might not know about a flaw that it might have.ps. any questiong, e-mail me or PM!

new system, new technology, why not overclock? :Dmy new mobo (an ASUS K8N-E Delux) has an AI Overclocker in it, so i decided to have some fun with it. At the moment, everything but Prime95 runs perfectly stable (SuperPI can go up to 32 mill without a single crash, all my games play perfectly, so prime95 is just being mean). My Athlon 64 3400+ is currently at 2.64ghz, and my FSB is 220mhz (not bad for my generic memory 'eh?). If i had the nuts to OC manualy i could probaly get this thing to around 2.7ghz while keeping it stable. The temps are about 135*F when under heavy load, so i'm not too uncomfortable :D

I bought my new PC a year and a half ago. There was this guy who wanted the fastest processor at the cheapest price and didn't care much about the motherboard. I told him but he wouldn't listen. My PC was a Athlon 2400+, ASUS Via KT600 chipset. His was Athlon 2600+, ASUS Via KM400 chipset. Both of us had throughbred B cores but his was a 333MHz bus mine was 266MHz bus, Pine GeForce2 MX, 256MB DDR 266MHz. So I underclocked my PC to 1.5 Ghz from the actual clock of 2GHz and his was at 2.0833MHz and guess the results. I get a frame rate of 100 and he just manages 80 in Quake 3 benchmark test. :D See? Never underestimate the power of the platform of your processor. After all it is the platform.

I have overclocked my computer before. However, it caused a magnitude of problems, so I had to set it back to the default, manufactured, settings.I had increased the speed 1/4. However, it generated much, unneeded heat, along with system unstability.It was horrible. After my overclocking, My system started to restart spontaneously, black-out, etc. I also started to recieve the Blue Screen of Death.I have noticed the fan started to run really loud, and it started to consume a lot more energy.The heat over-all, with the loud fan was a total turn off.

Personally I have never tried to overclock any of my CPUs before, but I have overclocked my old geForce 2 MX 400 64 MB video card before to the point of visual corruption. Once things started to mess up on the monitor, I lowered the clock speed a little. There was a moderate increase in the FPS I got, but nothing special. The video card never came with a fan attached to it, only a heatsing. So before overclocking it I made sure to customise it a bit and I added a small fan to it for safety.

I overclocked my AMD Athlon +2500 to +3500. To this day, I just leave the sides open and it works extremly well. I recently discovered that an airvent is shooting a strong cold stream into my PC.Its a miracle :)

When I was younger and everybody was around the 700mhz region for Pentium 3's, overclocking was huge as graphics cards and processors were lagging a little bit behind the needs for games. I overclocked my 733mhz to about 900mhz I think and all I did was open up the box and cool it with a big fan, makeshift I know, but effective none the less.

I have Celeron 1300Mhz at front side bus of 100MHz. I was able to push FSB to 125 so CPU speed was around 1560MHz and I was using standard cooling fan. I also overclocked my Geforce 2 Ti so I was able to play Motocross Madness and Need for Speed 5 Porsche Unleashed.I was using standard cooling. Nowdays my computer is working at default speeds, thus Geforce 2 Ti is working with no fan (default yes), cause I like quiet sound of my computer.

I never attempted to overclock my computer but i did overclock my video card..Nvida Geforce4 .. it worked fine for the first 4 months.. then i moved into a new apartment.. i guess the place i put the computer in didnt allow much air ventallation or something but all of a sudden my computer starts crashing when i run heavy games and programs and a week later my power supply was fried.. so what i did is i bought a new 80x80 mm fan and a new 400watt power supply and my computer has been working beautifully for 2 years now.. :D

Overclocked my CPU once...

It was an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with the standard AMD Cooler. I pushed it to 2,1 Ghz.

It runned stable for about one evening. When I turned my computer on next morning the screen went black.

After examination of the CPU a chip of the core broke off, so now I've got an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ running like a dream. No OC'ing anymore here! ;)