xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadow skazi

Exporting Transparent Images In Photoshop To Flash Needed: Photoshop 7 or CS, Flash MX

[1] First of all, it is important that you make sure the image you wish to export is on a transparent layer. The transparent layer is a checkered background in photoshop. You can see this checkered background in the image to the left. In this example, I created a quick glass icon which has different levels of transparency. This is the image I will be exporting, whilst preserving it's transparency. [2] Once your image is on a transparent background, head to file > save for web. You can only export complex transparency using the .png filetype. So from the drop down menu, select png24 whilst making sure the transparency radio box is checked. [3] Once step two is complete; continue by saving the file. Then open up Flash.Once flash is open, head over to File > Import > Import to Stage. Then select you .png file you've just exported, and import it into flash. You will now notice that whatever you will be able to see under, or through whatever you move your transparent image over.This technique can be used through all sorts of transparencies. Be it simple shapes, or complex gradients.

There is one thing...When I exported my characters into the flash, I still can see some of faint transparencies behind my images and it doesnt look natural with the background as there were like faint white background in it...I thought we could actually remove the white background in photoshop completely...How do we achieve that? I have tried using magic wand, eraser and others...And also I have been taught to save the file in GIF format..So which one is it??? thx..-reply by ryoryo

Faint white outline on png imagesExporting Transparent Images In Photoshop To Flash

ryoryo, I was having the same issue when I tried to import characters from Corel Paint and Draw into Flash. I fixed it by going back to my original image, and turning the object marquee on. (I'm not sure if this is the same in photoshop) essentially, its just a border that tells you where all the pixels are in that image, even those hard to see pixels.

From there you should be able to notice that the border is actually one or two pixels off of your sprite. This is why you get that faded white trim.

Remove those hard to see pixels and the faded white trim should be gone when you import to flash again.

I hope this helped!

-reply by Drew

AwesomeExporting Transparent Images In Photoshop To Flash

Thank you so much for posting this.  It's been bugging me for a while, but this really helped. 

this makes the files size go really high. Which in fact takes away from the whole idea of flash. Isn't it? but idea works. That's what I do to. Is there any other way that one could think of to get the transparency on stage as well as the files size kept lowest?

WHITE Outlines on transparent fileExporting Transparent Images In Photoshop To Flash

hey,

If you are exporting a transparent image inside photoshop, and you get those faint annoying white outlines when you import your images into flash, here is how to get rid of them:

1. Make sure your image has a transparent background (white and gray checkered background)

2. Go to  "help" on the top menu bar--then select "exporting a transparent image". After you do this, then another box will pop up. It will then trace your image (like what happens in Corel.) Then select GIF or PNG--the difference in these are the support from old and new browsers. For safe use for older browsers-select GIF. If your audience are people who predominately use newer browse, then select PNG if you wish.

Then, follow the steps it gives you, and name your file what you want it to be, and VIOLA! you destroyed the evil white lines.

-reply by Kar-Tina

Nice post just one more thing Sometimes flash automatically tries to compress your transparent PNG's with a JPG compressor. Right click on the PNG in your flash library > select properties > under "compression" choose "lossless (PNG/GIF)" on 5.5 anyways...