xisto Community
thejode

2tb Sd Card? TB, FAT3

Over the weekend, I went to the library and sought out towards their archives. There, I spotted one of my favorite magazines, Popular Science.

Within an article, I found out that the same company that had created SD cards had created a new technology, seperating itself from basic FAT32 systems. Instead, it used some sort of new system that would squish all the data together, making for a 2TB SD card(!). Now, I'm puzzled on 2 things:

1.) What was the system called?

2.) Would it be available for purchase?

I believe the article was in the January/February 2009 edition.

Cheers,

thejode

Its SDXC on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card%23SDXC

Its just a new specification for SD cards, like SDHC increased the maximum capacity possible, so does this. It doesn't mean they can put 2TB on it yet, they have just given it the room to grow. Memory cards will still increase in the capacities they are at the moment, and will eventually reach 2TB. But for now its definitely not the file system (exFAT) which could cause that much of an increase.

Well then you can't usea 2TB SD card.

Currently the largest SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) is production is 32GB, with the price rising significantly with each storage step up. The 2TB is just the maximum capacity that the SDXC is specificed to support.

It would be really great if they can put this on the mass market, and at an affordable price. 2TB is a lot of memory, and the ability to fit that in your pocket is great. The only problems that I could see is that most people wouldn't buy it (not many people need more than 500GB), and once it goes into production, the price will be very high, probably over $700.

Ouch. An SDCard with 2TB? That may be great for future digital cameras with the futuristic 100000 mega pixels (:)) but for now, that's a lot of storage for just phone/camera/etc data, even I don't need a such big hard drive for my PC, only if I take my day to download huge files and store them on the HDD. But I guess I could use this SDC for it, lol!