xisto Community
tinoymalayil

Is There Any Secondary Storage Device Faster Than A Hard Disk Drive?

Let me know any secondary storage devices which is faster than Hard disk..Let discuss about the faster secondary storage devices..I think flash drives are available which is faster than Hard disk.Please reply..

I dont think there is anything faster than a hard disk as a secondary storage device.. the fastest storage i know of are the caches in cpu as they get farther away from the cpu memory gets slower.. :lol:

You could utilize an external solid-state drive and have it connected via eSATA, I would think. Why would you need to have a secondary storage device that's FASTER than the primary?USB 3.0 may be faster than SATA in the future with its 5.0Gbps speeds with the SuperSpeed bus, but with overhead and actual transfer speeds, that might not be true. It wouldn't be viable to connect an SSD using a USB 2.0 cable because the method of transfer then becomes the bottleneck.

Let me know any secondary storage devices which is faster than Hard disk..Let discuss about the faster secondary storage devices..
I think flash drives are available which is faster than Hard disk.
Please reply..

Hi!

If you want to go faster than a conventional hard disk drive, you can get yourself a sold state disk drive. Those are quite expensive so you'll only find them in small capacities. The largest solid state disk drive commercially available has a capacity of 512GB.

BTW, from a technical perspective, you can't call a flash drive (thumb drive or a solid state drive) a 'disk' drive because it doesn't have a circular disk in it. They ought to be called simply 'storage drives' or 'storage devices'.

Regards

Yeah, a solid state drive is faster as long as it connects directly to your IDE or SATA port on your motherboard. Its generally the option people go for if they want either fast performance, quiet operation or low power requirement. But your costs will sky rocket and your maximum capacity will plummet. Ideally the way you use these is to hook one up as your primary disk and put your operating system and any extra data you wanted to be able to load quickly. Then all of your less essential programs or archive data put on a large magnetic disk.