xisto Community
Cassie79

Tsst Corp Cd/dvd Tsh6-53q - Won't Read Any Discs? Vista 64bit, Hp System, Hardware Recognised

So I just posted this as a guest and don't think it worked, so I found the registration link and voila :lol:Hoping someone can help. I have a HP system, running Vista 64bit, and about 4 months after I bought it the CD/DVD drive stopped working. It won't read any discs, CD or DVD, I can't burn anything as a result. I've tried at least 6 different types of DVD's and CD's but nada.My Device Manager says that the drive is installed and working normally. I insert a disc and I can hear it trying to read something but nothing happens past the same intermittent noise that repeats itself. -The registry file fix is N/A - been there tried that, that file wasn't even in my registry.-The Microsoft fix does not apply to my operating system - per their message when I tried.-I've cleaned the heads - zip-Updated the drivers and checked to see if I could roll back the drivers (nope)-Tried a gears driver out of desperation - uhm, no go here either-the IDE mode etc cannot be changed on my system, though not relevant given the drive wont read so I have no write errors.Help? Hoping there's a genius out there with the solution for me so I can be put out of my misery at last - this has been going on for 3 months now and I'm borderline going to buy a new one, but what's the point if it's not the actual drive itself :XD:Thanks in advance,Cassie

Edited by Cassie79 (see edit history)

Welcome to Xisto :XD:I guess you were in a hurry when you wrote this :) You forgot to mention some of the details :Panyways.. This has once happened to me also .. My Samsung DVD Drive stopped working and everything I inserted in it was taken to be a CD .. at-least it showed it as CD in my case but played nothing.. I was trying to watch a movie and I freaked out :D .. It was around mid-night and I knew the DVD was working properly .. Anyways.. I am only assuming since I have not seen your system :lol:Try these1. The Alignment for the Drive's lens could be out .Give it to some service centre they'll fix this if that's the case. Since your system is quite new, I think they wouldn't charge anything.2. It could be a break in your IDE cable (if it is IDE, SATA drives don't normally do this) . Just try changing the IDE Cable.3. Do you have more than one HDDs ? Since it could be due to a conflict in hardware configuration of the Drives.. Sounds funny but I've seen this with a Dell system. If that's the case. Try removing one of the drive and make sure that DVD drive's Jumper is set on CS(cable select).4. Its not a driver problem. Although it could be a driver conflict. Do you have any of the Virtual drives configured :D ?Try removing those and see if it helps..5. When was the last time you were able to see your drive working. I'll suggest you perform a restore to that date and see if its bcoz of a software conflict.6. If none of this helps try reformatting .. and if that doesn't help .. sue those HP bastards. They can't make anything right :DP.S. Try running ubuntu or some live linux distro to see if your drive is working properly under that.. Linux is quite good with hardware faults. IF its a hardware error your drive won't work in that .. but if its a software fault it will :D.Kindly give your system specs related to problem in detail .. that helps in providing a more specific solution :D

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

Thanks for your reply Bluedragon!Lets see here . . . going through your suggestions one at a time:1. I will have to have someone check the lense alignment, I did actually look at yanking it out but uh yeah, I didn't feel like pulling out the power supply and such to do so. When I put any disc in the light in the front flashes but I have just noticed a slight "clicking" noise like perhaps it's trying to work but can't? Discs won't even spin which has me wondering if it's perhaps the motor or the alignment as you suggested.2. It is a SATA connection - though the system recognises the device and says it is working properly.3. I only have one HDD's. 4. I did have a virtual drive installed, it has been removed for about 5 weeks now - nothing changed ><5. I have checked the registry edit - no lower or upper filters are there.6. It has been quite some time - i.e. 2-3 months at a stretch since it has worked, tried to restore when it started, to no avail.7. I reformatted after the restore was of no use - as it happened so was the restore.8. I called HP to have them look into it, from what the guy said they have been having a lot of cd/dvd drive issues (surprise me), if I can find the receipt from the comp they will even be so kind as to fix it (shame I moved countries again and can't find it, lol)My system is as follows:HP Pavillion Elite M9340f: Intel QUad Core Q6700 2.66 ghz / NVidia GeForce 9500GS / 1 x CD/DVD TSH6-53Q / 1 x 750g HDMy only periphials are A Razer Tarantula Keyboard, DeathAdder Mouse, Genius Tablet and HP Multifunction Printer.I've stripped it back to barebone software that I need - HP stuff that was installed at time of purchase, Office 2007 Suite Pro, Adobe CS3 Full Creative Suite, Safari, Firefox, Skype, Dvix Apps, Ventrilo . . . etc etc, all rather generic and legit software.If I left anything out please let me know! I gave a little TMI but I figured more was better :lol: CassieP.S. If you can give me a good link to the ubuntu/linux you suggested I will give it a go for sure.

I experienced almost the exact same problem with this (tsstcorp cddvdw ts-h653z) cd/dvd player working for about four months and then suddenly not recognizing the cds or dvds and making noises.  I believe it is just poorly made and designed to break down in a short period of time, I base this on the fact that many people are reporting the exact same problems and scenarios and that the manufacturer continues to sell them and HP continues to install them in their refurbished computers.  It is a product that should be recalled in my opinion.

I am experiencing the same problem with my tsst h653z drive however when I go to Computer in the main menu I cannot find the "file" that I am supposed to access to supposedly clear the registry. I am getting the reading that I do not have a drive installed. Please help.-question by karen

TSST corp DVD +-RW TS-T633A DVD Drive not workingTsst Corp Cd/dvd Tsh6-53q - Won't Read Any Discs?

I am also experiencing the same problem with my Dell Studio 1536 running Windows 7 x86 bit.

The Drive was initially working well but stoped recognizing Disks after six months. Drive Model : TSST corp DVD +-RW TS-T633A ATA Device. Currently Have one Hard disk with two partitions. I was also using a virtual DVD ROM but I have already removed it. I even tried re installing windows but it didn't work.

Hope any one gets a solution soon.

-reply by Evans M

regarding TSSTcorp 633aTsst Corp Cd/dvd Tsh6-53q - Won't Read Any Discs?

I have a Dell Studio XPS with the TSSTCorp drive, after being replaced 3 times, apparently the drive, at least on my computer, when the screws are too tight or too loose ( and this is just 1/4 of turn ! ) the drive gets interference from the keyboard and other components and doesn't read or white properly.

I guess these drives should have a better internal cover of the mechanism because just about anything can disrupt the correct read/write operations.

I hope this helps, at least to alert of this problem

Regard,

GuB

Hi, I have a similar issue with a Tsstcorp cddvdw ts-l633a optical driver. Driver stopped working after about 4 months of use. Optical Drive: Tsstcorp cddvdw ts-l633a PC: Phillips Freevents 15NB8611/05 (Laptop) OS: Vista 32 SP11. CDDVD drive stopped working without any apparent cause. System restore to a previous point does NOT solve the problem. 2. I have tried the Microsoft Fix it. I works - the first time! As soon as I eject and put in another DVD it just spins and makes noice as the OP describes. 3.Right after that I tried the regedit that was explained as a solution in the Microsoft support - the upper and lower limits dont appear. So they are unable to help me further :|4. I've got a built in format/vista reinstall on my PC: When I tried a DVD right after reinstalling windows, the dvd works fine. Checked a couple of days later - its not working again (Drive visible, device managers shows the "device is working norally", but it dosent read CD/DVDs. This is when I suspected of a Windows update interfering. Again, tried Fix it and it does fix it the first time. As soon as I insert another DVD it stops working. Regedit solution: no upper and lower levels to delete. Couldnt find any solution so I gave up for a couple of months. 5. Reintalled again. Turned off Windows update - used the setting that'll prompt me to download and install manually, rather than automatic download and manual install. STILL it downloads some update and installed it without permission. Its shown in the recents installations (in system restore) but it cannot be rolledback. Tried an audio CD this time - worked fine: Ejected and put in a DVD it wouldn't work! Ran fix it, put in the DVD and it works. Take out the DVD and put in the audio CD and its not working. Regedit solution: no upper and lower levels to delete.Timeline: Points 1-3 was done as soon as the problem came up. Point 4 was 1 1/2 years later. Point 5 was a month after point 4 (which was few days ago) I'm aware that there is a Windows Vista SP2. I assumed that this was downloaded via the automatic download/installing option that I used for Windows updated during the 1 1/2 years. One of the next steps would be to manually download and install Vista SP2 as soon as I reinstall Vista (again). Another option would be to reinstall and try the regedit way for a change, other than Fix it (though I believe Fix it does just that...).Another would be (to check if there is any interference from Windows update) is to use the PC without an internet connection for a few days and see if the CDDVD troubles arise... I'm determined to find the cause! Please let me know if there are any suggestions. Thanks for reading.