xisto Community
Asare

Pc Into A Dvd Player PC into a DVD player

hi i was just wondering if anyone has put a P.C into a dvd player, if so do you have the insrtuction on it pls. im trying to put my old Pentium 3 into a shell of a DVD player so it can run of my 42in tv in the living room can anyone pls.

I am currently running one at my living room. But Pentium 3 might not have the sufficient horse power for the large screen display.First of all, you need a mini ATX mainboard, a small form factor chassis, a decent graphics card HDMI capable, 1GB of ram, a durable DVD drive and a decent good HDD.You can give it a shot with Linux OS installed. Although it will be bulky for the living room but still, functional. The major problem will be the graphics card, i dont think there will be any AGP card with HDMI capable.

All I could find was a five year old article on fitting a basic home theatre PC inside a standard DVD player's shell. However, you will have some difficult work on your hands. For example, the author of that article had to dismantle their PSU from its case and manually fit it in the DVD player case, as a standard power supply (even a uATX one) was too big to fit.

They also used a VIA CPU, which means space wasn't needed for a large CPU cooler and very little heat was generated, allowing for simpler cooling. With a P3, you're going to need a decent cooler to keep it working inside such a confined space, which might make your PC too loud to be useful.

Finally, driving a 42" TV will need a good graphics card. Considering the sizes of current graphics cards, you'll have trouble trying to fit it into a DVD player's shell. The author of that article didn't use a separate graphics card (it was only driving a 20" portable TV) so didn't have that problem. You would also need to fit the graphics card flat on its side, rather than upright (if you know what I mean) - it would have to be parallel to the motherboard rather than the usual perpendicular. Either that or find a very tall DVD player :P There are a few motherboards that have onboard graphics good enough for HD now, but I doubt there are any for a P3 processor.