xisto Community
miladinoski

Can't Reconfigure The Xserver Ubuntu 8.10 - ATi Xpress 200M

Yesterday, I finally decided to move on to the OSS drivers for my integrated graphics card so I removed the fgrlx prop. (from AMD) drivers I was using till now because they don't offer support for my chip - ATi Xpress 200M - anymore, they moved it to the legacy section. Well I decided to move ATi's drivers to the legacy section of my PC because of their poor politics because I found out that the makers of the libre drivers finally released 3D support for my chip.

I used these instructions to remove fglrx and replace it with the free 'ati' driver. When I followed those instructions in the past - on the last step:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

-- I always got output and I could choose between which driver to use from the offered ones.

Now, when I do that, I don't get any output at all! The terminal bounces me back as I've hitten enter without typing anything in the command box :PB)

I've asked the same question on the Phoronix forums

-- phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/13218-new-to-the-oss-drivers-ati-xpress-200m?16894-New-to-the-OSS-drivers-ATi-Xpress-200M= --

(ignore the first post - I got that solved), but I haven't gotten a response yet - I want a faster response I thought I may get here.

The thing that's really annoying in this problem and will certainly get fixed if I manage to reconfigure the xserver somehow, is that I have to accept to boot into 'low-graphics' mode and click OK once more whenever GDM starts!

I tried with backuping xorg.conf first and then deleting it from /etc/X11 and re-trying to configure the server, but the same thing happens! Don't worry, I returned the backed-up xorg.conf file.

What should I do? I'm very desperate about this problem! I'll be very glad if I find a working solution to this as I can't find anyone with the same problem as me on Google.

Please, I beg you don't tell me to revert to the propietary fglrx driver (except if that's part of the solution to get the 'ati' OSS driver working) and don't tell me to do a fresh install either because I don't have a way for how to do that (don't ask).

In the meantime, I'll keep searching for an answer and post it here if it has been successfull.

Thanks for any help!

Have you tried the Ubuntuforums.org site?
They support the x-windows via xunbubtu and there may be someone over there that could assist you.

https://ubuntuforums.org/

*edit*
By the way, what OS are you running?

Have you tried the Ubuntuforums.org site?They support the x-windows via xunbubtu and there may be someone over there that could assist you.

https://ubuntuforums.org/

*edit*
By the way, what OS are you running?

I was just starting to open a topic explaining my problem there, but opened Xisto to see if someone has replied to my topic :P

Oh, I use Ubuntu 8.10 - will upgrade as soon as I get this fixed, as you can see in the topic sub-title B)