xisto Community
freenrg

What On Earth Is Time? Can you explain it to me?

Time can be defined. Time can be understood. Time is tangible, complete and it has a whole science working behind it. Time, as we know it, is divided into past, present and future. I am yet to see somebody who has a fourth thing other than these three. So, we attribute a measurable physical quantity to something that we did and call it "time", so that we can push it along and start working on new things. However, the answer lies in your question: "what on earth is time?" Time is something that only happens on earth, because it is a planet that has a veil made of time-space fabric that is put over most of its inhabitants. The earthlings have tried and are still trying to get down to "something" that can't be further divided and so we have the scientific definitions of "fundamental units" such as time, space, mass,etc. But, deep down, we all ask questions like, "but how far can we go dividing a nanosecond?" and so on. So, what I feel is that time is one of the two big lies that make up the fabric of time-space on planet earth, using which we describe, judge, plan and enact all our activities while living here. After we leave this earth, there is no time. Like someone else who replied to your question, the truth is that there is no time. Everything is happening in the NOW and so, there you have it: time is a physical measurable unit of physics to the scientists, a big, USEFUL lie to the rest of us! :lol:

"Time" is a physical quantity just like velocity and distance. We can measure it, we have

got clear cut deffinitions for its Units. But, time is a quantity that we have little control over it. We can increase velocity, and win over large distance,... But we can not control time in that easy.

When did time start, that may be a real question... sure it started even befrore

origin of this universe.. may be long before the bigbang... so in Spiritual sense

Time is Truth.. the truth that will exist even after your existance

Time is firstly another excuse for us to feel secure. Scientists fail to answer such for their lack of aknowledgment of the universe. to answer such a question will be extremly difficult. since we base the definition of time according to the radius of the universe we know its pretty hard to define it.. what if time differs according to certain areas of the universe you are in. lets consider if the universe has a border line how would time be like in those areas?????. Time, can simply be explained as a 'serial' quantity that exists to our knowledge as a superior form within the universe. it's something we are to immature to yet fully understand.

Time is firstly another excuse for us to feel secure. Scientists fail to answer such for their lack of aknowledgment of the universe.

Huh? Scientists are the ones finding out how the universe works...

to answer such a question will be extremly difficult. since we base the definition of time according to the radius of the universe we know its pretty hard to define it..

Radius of the universe? I must have missed this in my physics lectures. Can you tell me which universe you mean? Observable? Co-moving?

Let's presume you are on the ball and mean the comoving distance - that's about 46 billion light years. Doesn't seem like a nice number to base a system of time on - and if we did then how did we measure it, and how does it relate to the way I thought we developed the units of time - solar orbital time - ie the year.?

what if time differs according to certain areas of the universe you are in. lets consider if the universe has a border line how would time be like in those areas?????.

The universe doesn't have a border - you are thinking 3 dimensionally but you need to think 4 dimensionally.

Time, can simply be explained as a 'serial' quantity that exists to our knowledge as a superior form within the universe.

No, it really can't, because that is not an explanation, it is an assertion. And there are a few problems with it:

a ) Serial quantity is meaningless, unless you can give me an example of a parallel quantity.

b ) I haven't a clue what 'superior form' means but I know that time doesn't have a form and I struggle to imagine what it could be superior to....

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

The universe doesn't have a border - you are thinking 3 dimensionally but you need to think 4 dimensionally.

actually if you say universe is infinite then you should say its dimensions are infinite too. you can never model universe exactly with a bounded matrix so every model you see (4D & 5D) are just with some approximations and as dimensions go higher the accuracy goes higher too, so if you say it is infinite based on a 4D model then your answer has an approximation which means it can be wrong.

Time, can simply be explained as a 'serial' quantity that exists to our knowledge as a superior form within the universe. it's something we are to immature to yet fully understand.

serial quantity ? quantity can be continuous or discontinuous and time is a continuous quantity because you can divide it as much as you want to milliseconds or micro seconds or nano seconds and so. but i haven't heard about serial quantity.

anyway time is money so don't waste it :P .

actually if you say universe is infinite then you should say its dimensions are infinite too. you can never model universe exactly with a bounded matrix so every model you see (4D & 5D) are just with some approximations and as dimensions go higher the accuracy goes higher too, so if you say it is infinite based on a 4D model then your answer has an approximation which means it can be wrong.

Two problems with that.a) I didn't say the universe was infinite - I said it was unbounded, which is not the same.
b ) Bounded infinity is a common concept in basic topology, starting with constructs like the Koch Snowflake (infinite length in bounded area). I don't see why inaccuracy is introduced. In simple terms if I consider a three dimensional spherical shell from a two dimensional standpoint, I have an unbounded finite. I can walk for-ever, on the shell, and never meet a wall or boundary, but the curvature is such that the total volume of the universe is finite.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

the question asked...is another GODLY question...which itself starts a chain of such...

over the human antennaequestions...

here's my take...its not totlly my personal answer but well backed up by trustworthy sources...so its worth a consideration..

TIME is not something like unitary or measurement...or omnipresent or eternal...these words just make it a hell lot complicated....

truth is that even Time had a beginning...and since it had a Beginning its expected to have a end..

now the question thrusting in your minds must be BEGINNING????

here it is.....almost all of us are aware that the universe began with a BIG-BANG an explosion in singularity....it is assumed(almost proved)that initially all this was cramped in a single point having tending to zero volume and tending to infinite mass...called singularity...when singularity existed nothing like "time" was there....time began with the expansion explosion..(big Bang)..

and its there since than..

now talking of it..

going into it deeply will involve various complications(like relativity) ..but still let me give it a try..

its not a unit ..nothin...but its there ,we experience it because of our speed's difference with speed of light...yes ..it is it...

we experience time the way we experience because we aint movin at speed comparable to ~300000000 m\s the ultimate speed....

here's another astonishing fact.....even if u travel at half of light speed the photon particles will still be movin at 300000000 relative velocity to you.thats because photons(particles at light speed) are free from relative motion frame...(independent of freames)..

this signifies that at light speed theres nothin like time.....if you were a photon....you wouldnt have exp[erienced anything like time...cause time is something thats created cause of you...

thats why when you start to move at comparable speeds to light the time starts to flow at slower rate for you...(in your referce frame...)although you wouldnt notice it unless you see any other normal object(it will appear as if time in normal frame is movin faster)hence reachin very close to ultimate speed time will become way more slower......at ultimate speed time is nothin its ZERO.....through these observations it is assumed at higher than ultimate speed time should start to flow in opposite sense(travelling to past)....i hope you got some ide of TIME.......reply me soon..ASAP....tell me if i hav told anything wrong