xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trystim

Windows 2000 blah

Well if you haven't already heard here is the news brief, Windows 2000 server and personal editions will no longer have support given to them as of June 30, 2005 and therefore no more critical and or recommend updates. I knew the day would come when they would stop the support and basically force everyone who wanted to remain updated with the latest security fixes and what not would have to upgrade to windows XP home, professional, and or corporate.Therefore, making it so that people have to buy the upgrade or full install and most people can't afford the price they ask for these upgrades and have to suffer the consequences of a less secure system if you choose to use the Windows OS.Hope your all ready for XP and Longhorn.

I dont know why Microsofts operating sys life cycle ends so soon for win2kthey ended support for 98 very late i think for last year so why kill w2k anyway thanks for notifying

where did you get this information? can you give a link at least. I found it hard to believe. only a while ago when microsoft tried to stop support for windows 98 there were big buzz about it. I can't imagine I haven't heard any thing yet if they decide to stop support for windows 2000. yes microsoft will eventually stop support for windows 2000 but I don't think it will be anytime soon.Ok, i checked microsoft's website, here is the new quoted:"To make it as easy as possible for customers to maintain the security and stability of their Windows 2000 systems, Microsoft will produce an Update Rollup for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4), with a planned release in mid-2005.....Because Microsoft believes the Update Rollup will meet the needs of customers better than a new service pack, there will be no Service Pack 5 (SP5) for Windows 2000. Therefore, SP4 becomes the final service pack for Windows 2000...."now make it clear, no SP5 does not mean no support for windows 2000 any more. so stop spreading false news.

Hey Guys,Rumor or no rumor isn't the question. Microbloat will strike again. Gates et all have publically stated their goal is to "migrate"(ie force) everyone who "owns" their current software to rent their new stuff via annual subscriptions. This is NOT a secret. This is GREED- pure & simple. The only way you can fight back is to vote with your dollars. Don't upgrade to their "new" products unless you absolutely have to. Wall street will slap them on the hands (ie. refuse to increase their stock prices) each time they don't sign up enough people to their "new" products thru increased sales. There hasn't really been any new functionality in their products since Win98/2000 anyway, just added "bells & whistles". Second, get rid of as much of their "bug" ridden stuff (eg. Outlook, IE etc.) that you don't really need. These programs have more security holes than swiss cheese!! They're left in on purpose to keep you continually addicted to their "new & improved" "updates" & "Dis-Service" packs. Third, support freeware/shareware & open source programers thru your donations & time contributions. ALSO, support sites like Xisto by clicking on their SPONSORED ADS EVERY TIME YOU USE THE SERVICE. FIGHT BACK :D RGPHNX

Hey Guys,

Rumor or no rumor isn't the question. Microbloat will strike again. Gates et all have publically stated their goal is to "migrate"(ie force) everyone who "owns" their current software to rent their new stuff via annual subscriptions. This is NOT a secret. This is GREED- pure & simple. The only way you can fight back is to vote with your dollars. Don't upgrade to their "new" products unless you absolutely have to.  Wall street will slap them on the hands (ie. refuse to increase their stock prices) each time they don't sign up enough people to their  "new" products thru increased sales.  There hasn't really been any new functionality in their products since Win98/2000 anyway, just added "bells & whistles". Second, get rid of as much of their "bug" ridden stuff (eg. Outlook, IE etc.) that you don't really need. These programs have more security holes than swiss cheese!! They're left in on purpose to keep you continually addicted to their "new & improved" "updates" & "Dis-Service" packs.  Third, support freeware/shareware & open source programers thru your donations & time contributions. ALSO, support sites like Xisto by clicking on their SPONSORED ADS EVERY TIME YOU USE THE SERVICE.

FIGHT BACK  :D

RGPHNX

46403[/snapback]

well i agree microsoft sucks, but windows ARE their products and they have the rights to do whatever they want, if they want to sell it as subscriptions, so be it. You HAVE the rights not to buy it.

now make it clear, no SP5 does not mean no support for windows 2000 any more. so stop spreading false news.

46396[/snapback]

#1 it isn't false news and before you jump to conclusions and assume I am spreading false news I have been working with computers since before i was out of highschool both building them and using them, that is almost 12 yrs of experience. I know how microsoft works and just a little FYI Microsoft stops support of their products 5 years after it's final release.

#2 your other post is only mentioning about service pack 5 but i get a weekly newsletter that stated about their stopping of support on June 30,2005. So as soon as they post it on the site and make it available by that means (as I have already deleted it since i have read it thoroughly) I will come back edit my post and support you with a link and direct quote.

Windows is the most pointless rip off in computers that I know of. They make you buy one version, and support it and it's software equivalents for a period of time. Then, microsoft writes a new version of the same thing with added protection from user use and makes it incompatible, or lacking in support. Thus forcing you to spend hundreds every few years. Moral of my story...go linux and fluxbox.

Windows is the most pointless rip off in computers that I know of. They make you buy one version, and support it and it's software equivalents for a period of time. Then, microsoft writes a new version of the same thing with added protection from user use and makes it incompatible, or lacking in support. Thus forcing you to spend hundreds every few years. Moral of my story...go linux and fluxbox.

46490[/snapback]

while think it this way, when you buy a car, you only have like 30000mile/3years warrency. of course it is different to compare cars with software, but still There will not be unlimmited support for any products.

here is a quote from my newsletter as promised i saved to my hard drive and had forgotten about that. WINDOWS 2000 SUPPORT TO END ON JUNE 30, 2005 Standard support for Windows 2000 personal and server editions will officially end on June 30, 2005. Microsoft has confirmed that no further service packs will be released for Windows 2000. Microsoft's general policy is to provide "Mainstream Support" for 5 years after a product was released. After that, for another 5 years, "Extended Support" provides security "Hotfixes" for free. Non-security hotfixes require an additional paid support contract that must be purchased within 90 days after Mainstream Support ends (before 9/28/05 for Windows 2000). And for more on Microsofts Official Software lifecycle policy. Life Cycle for Microsoft

Well if you haven't already heard here is the news brief,  Windows 2000 server and personal editions will no longer have support given to them as of June 30, 2005 and therefore no more critical and or recommend updates.  I knew the day would come when they would stop the support and basically force everyone who wanted to remain updated with the latest security fixes and what not would have to upgrade to windows XP home, professional, and or corporate.

Therefore, making it so that people have to buy the upgrade or full install and most people can't afford the price they ask for these upgrades and have to suffer the consequences of a less secure system if you choose to use the Windows OS.

Hope your all ready for XP and Longhorn.

46056[/snapback]

Man I'm lucky, I have XP Proffesional but I think its kinda cheap that now you will have a less secure system or you will be forced to buy XP. There must be another way around it. Isn't there...?