xisto Community
Alex Cicala

Wireless Cable, Instead Of Modem

Ok my idea is quick. But It could make it more efficient with some older products.

My idea is to have a cable [Ethernet] that only has the part that you put into the port, and then on the end has a small wifi connection thing that then connects to the other end which would be the receiver end of the cable.

Posted Image

So they what does everyone think

wireless network cards already exist.. I don't know how your idea is any different to what already exists.

I know about NIC's but I'm talking about devices eg. The Xbox, doesn't have compatibility for an NIC. So do you see what I mean?

Oh yeah xbox does not have wireless network. I dont think it would work though because as far as I understand those 8 wires from the standard network cables are not designed to to power devices. They are purely wires for carrying signals and a wireless device would require power to draw and transmit.

I was suggest that technology futhur developed and then maybe something like this could be made. Then again this was a quick Idea, if you could elaborate on the idea that would be good.

sonesay is right, these devices would require external power to function, I have thought about this idea myself as I have one of the old xbox's. I think there is actually wireless devices you can get for xbox's anyway which plug into the network port and power and then transmit as wifi.The major problems or thoughts with this idea are:- Are all of these devices coupled as pairs? So do they need the receiver to function? Does this mean that it won't take advantages of current wifi networks in the area? This would cost more but if they just worked individually and just used wifi then the advantages of such a system aren't as great.- If they are all paired up then does it need to use wifi? How is the security of the connection established if there is no way to access the devices software? If the security is standard and offers no configuration does this make it easier to hack into, or similar devices interfering?These are just some things to think about. Hope it helps.

sonesay is right, these devices would require external power to function, I have thought about this idea myself as I have one of the old xbox's. I think there is actually wireless devices you can get for xbox's anyway which plug into the network port and power and then transmit as wifi.The major problems or thoughts with this idea are:
- Are all of these devices coupled as pairs? So do they need the receiver to function? Does this mean that it won't take advantages of current wifi networks in the area? This would cost more but if they just worked individually and just used wifi then the advantages of such a system aren't as great.
- If they are all paired up then does it need to use wifi? How is the security of the connection established if there is no way to access the devices software? If the security is standard and offers no configuration does this make it easier to hack into, or similar devices interfering?

These are just some things to think about. Hope it helps.

Well, although I dont think these devices are going to happen... This is how it could work. It could get power from usb, hook up to a computers usb port, and the xbox's ethernet and usb ports. Then it could idenitfy each other from a randomized code sent through ssl.

Ok my idea is quick. But It could make it more efficient with some older products.
My idea is to have a cable [Ethernet] that only has the part that you put into the port, and then on the end has a small wifi connection thing that then connects to the other end which would be the receiver end of the cable.

So they what does everyone think

We have devices that plug into the USB port and provide wireless connectivity - they are frequently referred to as USB wireless network adapters. They do not require external power and look just like a USB flash drive.

We also have Ethernet-to-wireless devices, which we simply call wireless routers.

I see you have an interest in computer networking. Take a walk to your local computer store and perhaps you might want to try networking through the electrical cabling of your household. You can get speeds of upto 400Mbps over wiring that you already have, which makes it a pretty good idea.