xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ladyjane

Can't Decide What To Specialize In multiple interests

Hi! I'm ladyjane, and I got a question for my fellow creatives: how do you decide what to specialize in? I'm 39 years old and I don't have a lot of free time for creative projects. But when I do get free time, I want to do a million creative things: write poems, write fiction, draw cartoons, learn to play guitar. But I wonder if I should specialize in just one thing and learn to do it well. Does anyone else have this problem? You want to do everything in the creative arts and can't decide what to specialize in? :) How would I know what to specialize in? Any advice is appriciated. Or am I just weird?

There is nothing weird about having more than one interest. The problem is it takes time and effort for one to be good at something unless you are lucky enough to be naturally talented in the thing you are doing. Only you can decide for your self what path you would like to pursue. This can be a long process of trying out things and then deciding on what you like best but over time you may even find that you like something else better so try and not limit your self to one particular area if you can.

There is nothing weird about having more than one interest. The problem is it takes time and effort for one to be good at something unless you are lucky enough to be naturally talented in the thing you are doing. Only you can decide for your self what path you would like to pursue. This can be a long process of trying out things and then deciding on what you like best but over time you may even find that you like something else better so try and not limit your self to one particular area if you can.

Thank you! I'll keep this in mind as I try to learn guitar, write poems, draw cartoons, write short stories and paint. And tomorrow I'll do something else. :)

I want to do a million creative things: write poems, write fiction, draw cartoons, learn to play guitar. But I wonder if I should specialize in just one thing and learn to do it well.

Sounds like a great problem...well I wouldn't even consider this a problem! I have worked with several youngsters and so many of them don't even know that they have interests (and they do them every day).

I also have a million interests, I love drawing, graphic design, surfing, guitar...

Maybe this might be a bit helpful. I got 2 simple points to make.

Do what you love:

For example I know for a fact that I am not gonna be a pro surfer, but the feeling I get after the session makes me feel like a kid again. It makes the whole day that much better. This is what makes it worth doing everyday of my life.

Do what your good at:

I was (or kinda still am) a web & graphic designer. There is a lot of value (egocentrically and monetarily - I mean it in the best way) if people sincerely appreciate your work. But on the contrast, before I was in the design biz I thought this was going to be an undying passion however, the business and politics part really can damper the fun. All in all I still love it.

hmm. as I was writing this a thought has dawned on me. It's the BALANCE that is key. I hope you enjoy the search, what ever you decide, I think you will be happy. Your decision will probably be correct.

I completely sympathize with your situation, and would be inclined to say I share it. Whereas I finally found a few paths to focus on above others, I will always be passionate about many things... a "Jack of All Trades," as it were.Never feel inadequate for having so many interests (and talents)! It's not easy, believe me, but I find that I've learned to appreciate my innumerable facets despite all else.Those who have replied before me have left you some wonderful advice. I hope that it helps you!Please take care.

Procrastination happens to everyone unfortunately.I tend to do that a lot.I guess the secret would be to set aside an even amount oftime for all the things you want to do.Then put a serious work ethic in for each one and progress should be seen.