xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andreip

Logo Design Create a logo in the right way.

Hey guys I've decided myself to show you how a proffesional logo design should be made.For our work we need two softwares, imagination and a bit of knowledge in designing.

Wee need Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to complete our tutorial. I know not many people has Illustrator so I've included the Illustrator result file for you.

Firstly open up Adobe Illustrator(I use CS4 version).

Than make a new document 400x200 px.

Posted Image

After that select the rectangle tool, select a dark grey color without outline and draq a nice rectangle as I did in the picture :

Posted Image

Than select the rectangle press Alt and drag the rectangle to right. That way we will duplicate it. Now make it a bit smaller and change the color. (the color doesn't really matters yet)

Posted Image

Now do the same way again and now we have 3 unequal aligned rectangles.

Posted Image

Ok so now select all three of them go to Effects > 3D > Extrude & Bevel and apply the following :

Posted Image

It looks cool, isn't it ? But we can make it look way better. Now select the second cube right click it go to arange and click send to back. Now do the same for the last one.

Well we are not readdy yet! Select the cubes go to Object > Expand appearence. Our work should look like this till now :

Posted Image

You can see now that the cubes are composed of rectangles. Now we need to select every rectangle and color it in a right good and elegant looking way.

Pick the direct selection tool and select one of the rectangles of the first cube. Select the gradient too and do as I did :

Posted Image

Now select the other rectangle :

Posted Image

And finnaly the single rectangle left :

Posted Image

Do the same with the other two cubes. You should obtain a result simmilar like this :

Posted Image

Now we finished the Illustator part. Go to File > Export > and save it as PNG format with transparent background.

Ok so now open up Photoshop. Make a new document 420x220 px and also import the png image we made in Illustrator.

Posted Image

Ok now we will make it look more 3D by adding a shadows to our cubes. Make a new layer behind our cubes layer, select the circle tool and make an oval underneath the cubes.

Go to Filter > Blur > Gausian Blur and make it to 15, select the layer and go down with the opacitty to 60%. You should get this result :

Posted Image

Select a nice font and write your name or your company name. Go to blending options and do the same :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well in the end after some final retouches and a little imagination I got this :

Posted Image

I hope you find this tutorial useful, and if you have any question about it don't hesitate :)!

I've also included the files used in a zip attached.

trap17logodestut.zip

Hi, thanks for the tutorial.
I have been using Fireworks to make most of my graphics.

Would you mind giving your thoughts to whether fireworks or illlustrator is better? or should they be used together? etc

Thanks.

Well my friend Fireworks and Illustrator are totally diferent. For example Fireworks is used to make web graphics and Illustrator to make vectors. It depends a lot how you know to use any of this programs. I personally prefer Illustrator and Photoshop for my graphics even if I'm doing webdesign. If you want something professional buy all three. Trust me you wont be dissapointed. I've accuired the master suite and I'm so pleased of it till now. I'm glad I could help! If you have any more questions just say it. 

Cheers!

Thanks andre. This will come in useful for future banners! :D Very good work mate keep it up. :P

Thank you Sky ! Yes, you could use this. Ive only shown the basic principle how you can make 3D objects in Illustrator and use them in Photoshop too. I will try and do more advance things but I'm still learning too :)!

Where'd you get the nice background pattern? I could use a pattern like that.

Where'd you get the nice background pattern? I could use a pattern like that.

I've got it from a photoshop free resource tutorial mate. Here I'll link you to the download page : Click :P!
I was also looking for those patterns for many time and I found them browsing accidentally xD.

cyber_electrons - Good luck and if you have any other questions please say them :).

Cheers!

Wow! Great tutorial! I know how to use PS, but that takes patience to capture and upload screen caps and write detailed instructions like that! Well done brother! Very well done!

Hey guys and sorry for not responding so long time. Well the first part of the tutorial was done in Illustrator CS3+. The photoshop version can be CS2+.Thank you for your replies. Also planing to write more tutorials :lol:.