xisto Community
aloKNsh

Remove The Third Option From The Startup List! Windows xp proff. setup is also listed remove it

By mistake i have installed a new and fresh xp in my system and then went half way and then removed the cd from the cd rom.........then now whenever i am booting my system i am getting one new option to boot through they are as follows:Windows Xp ProfessionalUbuntuWindows Xp Professional Setupi just want to remove the third one from the list.....................when we restart the computer and then select the option to boot from or to get into the desired os then only this option comes and now what to do and how to remove it........

First enable the display of hidden folders and system files in Tools>Folder Options in Windows Explorer. Then go to C: drive and open the file boot.ini, you should see something like this (will be different on yours):

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Now before I tell anything ahead, remember that a wrong edit on this file would make your xp useless. Ok, so now as you told you want to remove "Windows Xp Professional Setup", find this on the boot.ini file and delete the complete line of text. It would be something like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Delete this and save the file. Now you wont see that option when you reboot.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Also check that default OS to load is not "Windows Xp Professional Setup". If so then you need to edit the default OS too.That is you need to change the partition number to the one in which your working OS exists. If its onpartition 1 then change the text to this:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Caution: If you didn't understand ask, and don't go ahead with the edit.

Follow Haricotcur's solution. But be very very careful when editing the boot.ini file or you will face lot more troubles...

hey i have tried it but after unhiding the folders also boot.ini is not there..............................................so what to do nowwhen i runned cmd and then c:\boot.ini and got the same file which you all are talkimg about but after deleting the sentence it showed read only attribute and when i tried to find it it cant be locatedplease tell me how to solve this problem

Good, atleast you tried to find that in DOS, but yes that file is a read only system file. So did you check the display of hidden system files too in folder options? Chek out this screenshot:

Posted Image

Now you should see boot.ini in C drive. Uncheck its read only attribute and edit it. You would better make backup of boot.ini in another drive just in case something odd happens.