xisto Community
random truth

Itunes In Linux

There is the Linux Application Rythmbox (or Songbird from the Mozilla crowd) that offers the same (similar) features.I prefer Rythmbox, myself, but Songbird works well also.What flavour of Linux? I would suggest Ubuntu 8.10 as a first version for people coming to the dark side from Windows.

iTunes normally works "out-of-the-box" with Wine. The only known problem, which the Wine Application Database provides a solution for, is that when you first start iTunes, due to QuickTime, you'll notice the screen go black for a while. Refreshing the desktop and moving windows around and hovering over items "brings back" the desktop (although KDE4 auto-corrects itself). Also, burning to CD may not be supported in Wine.As a substitute, just switch to Amazon MP3 or some other source that doesn't force DRMs onto your music, then download Amarok 2 to play these non-DRMed files. This process of switching, however, you may find a bit hard to do, since mostly likely your parents have already purchased music from iTunes, therefore having them "tied" to iTunes insofar as they have the DRMed music files.

iTunes normally works "out-of-the-box" with Wine. The only known problem, which the Wine Application Database provides a solution for, is that when you first start iTunes, due to QuickTime, you'll notice the screen go black for a while. Refreshing the desktop and moving windows around and hovering over items "brings back" the desktop (although KDE4 auto-corrects itself). Also, burning to CD may not be supported in Wine.
As a substitute, just switch to Amazon MP3 or some other source that doesn't force DRMs onto your music, then download Amarok 2 to play these non-DRMed files. This process of switching, however, you may find a bit hard to do, since mostly likely your parents have already purchased music from iTunes, therefore having them "tied" to iTunes insofar as they have the DRMed music files.

What version of Wine and iTunes are you using? I could not seam to get it to install. It would always say "The iTunes installer has encountered an error and all changes to your computer have been undone" or something similar, when it is installing quick time. My parents really like the iTunes store for some reason, I have tried to get them to use Amazon, but I havent cared since the store went drm free and started using 256 bit AAC which pretty much brought it on par with AmazonMP3.

What version of Wine and iTunes are you using? I could not seam to get it to install. It would always say "The iTunes installer has encountered an error and all changes to your computer have been undone" or something similar, when it is installing quick time.

I don't use the Wine that's in the Ubuntu repository, i always compile the latest development version. I think the version of Wine i was using when i last used iTunes was probably 1.1.13 with, i think, iTunes 7.2. I think iTunes 8 was the version that has been known to work not so well with Wine, but version 7 always worked for me, that is, back when i used iTunes. Go here and pick the version you have and see if they offer any installation guides.