xisto Community
aloKNsh

How To Use Wine

Hello everybodyi am currently using ubuntu and i found that we can run windows programme in ubuntu in wine so i downloaded wine and also installed but dont know what to do next and how to use it?Please help methank you very much in advance

Normally Wine "registers" itself with the appropriate file extensions, which popular file managers pick up and display the option to open up the program in Wine. But to run a Windows program through the command line you type in:

CONSOLE
wine /path/to/file.exe

Do note that Wine doesn't support every single program available for Windows, and some programs may require a workaround to get it to function properly. Be sure to see if there is any information for the program you are trying in the Wine Application Database before attempting to run it through Wine.

Since you are using Ubuntu, after you install wine you will see an entry under the Applications menu in the taskbar at the top of the window. This is not for installation, but for running programs once they are installed.To install programs, download the .exe file. Then, right-click on the file. Find the option (either at the top or under the menu "Open With >") that says "Open With "Wine Windows Program Loader"". Let the install go all the way through. Then, once it is successful, you will see an entry under the menu I mentioned above (under Application -> Wine -> Programs -> ...).Make sure you use the AppDB at winehq.org to find out whether a particular program will install / run using wine. If you download a program binary that is the actual application and not an installer, that can be started using the same process I described.NOTE: I am assuming you are using the default desktop manager 'gdm,' which is GTK based. If you are using something else, the instructions may change slightly.Regards,z.